Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question Betta drip system? (please answer I'm eager to know)

I was thinking of setting up a Betta drip system with around 8 5 gallon tanks or 16 3 gallon tanks (just started planning so it isn't fool proof yet) I have a filter rated for 300 gallons/hour.... would this be strong enough, do you think? I could hook it up to the setup and have it act as the pump? So to do it you put a big tub/tank on the bottom filled with bioballs and filter sponge and all sorts of homes for the bacteria. Then you hook up the pump so that it forces water through the sump filter on the bottom and back up and into the tanks. Then another tube hooked up sucks the water down into the sump, so that it's constantly getting purified. When doing this method you never have to do water changes, right? (I found a few places with instructions about setting this up and I am currently researching more into this)

Basically, would that filter be a strong enough pump? Because that IS the most (well, maybe the tanks cost more...) expensive part of the project. I feel and urge to own many Bettas. Thanks!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #2 
baylee767

Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #3 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I encourage you to continue your research on Sumps and sump systems. My opinion only: the bio-load that you have mentioned does not need a sump. But, again, you are on the right track with your research...Have fun with this hobby...
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #4 
baylee767

Well, I just explained the Betta drip system to my dad (he's an engineer) and he says it sounds easier to setup then what he did with his sump. Now that I think about it, maybe I'll setup a hundred half gallon tanks (yep you read right) And then once I finally finish that get into breeding (I just saw at my LFS beautiful dragon HMPK's for $9 (their Bettas are from Thailand)) Maybe so that I don't have to do as much work with water changing ^.^

luvmybetta: The point of the Betta drip system is so you only have to buy one heater (Just place it in the sump!) Do little to no water changes, and say for example you're a breeder, say you get a spawn with 50+ fish, then you can house them all in half gallon tanks while having time for other things and knowing your Bettas are in clean warm water.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #5 
baylee767

Oh, I just had an idea! The one problem of a Betta drip system would be nitrates. Water changes would be difficult because I might drain the bettas tanks/dry out my bacteria colony (I'd need to do the water changes in the sump....) Nitrites/ammonia wuld be taken care of but the nitrates would soar...

So I'll divide the sump in half and leave plenty of space for water flow. In the first half I'll put filter media so I can get plenty of bacteria (most likely using an 18 gallon tub, wondering, is that enough?) And I'll stuff the second half to the rim... with... plants. I'll just put plant weights on a BUNCH of low-light plants. Then I'll float a whole bunch of Anarchis (nitrate super obsorber) I'll have to put in lights and make sure that at least SOME of the light can make it to the plants below, but still, it's perfect! 9 gallons stuffed to the rim with dozens and dozens of plants. 9 gallons stuffed to the rim with bacteria... and I'll probably add some sort of plant to each tank (for example if java ferns multiply a bunch add some to the tanks) Hopefully that'll take care of most of the nitrates... Yep, hopefully.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #6 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Well...See..there you go. You are starting to expand your idea and like I said, you are researching and are on the right track. All great ideas start with just the first thought. I had only one tank with a sump/system. The bio-load in that tank required and supported a sump/system. An Engineering Degree does also help somewhat in this hobby....Know what you mean about talking to an Engineer...As, I are one...Ooops...not anymore...Had to get away from Aerospace...Anyway, have fun with designing a complete system. I am sure you will get it all figured out.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote