Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #1 
Garth13

Tank for new betta!

I was in Petco yesterday and found the perfect Betta (pictures and more story in Betta pictures).

So, being a good fish mom I bought a ton of plants to start cycling the tank. I started the cycle last night and took the water to a local fish shop to get checked (forgot to buy the test strips ) and get more tips. Well the water was almost perfect! Ammonia is a tad bit high, they didn't show me the strip so I don't know the number.

Per their advice I bought some cheap tetras (don't worry they will go to a good home after and they said the amount of ammonia I have in the tank won't hurt them) to help cycle the tank a bit faster and two more plants. I also took a plant, rocks, and some filter "stuff" from an established tank. I will be checking the water tomorrow, but they said it might be ready by the end of the week, key word might

Well without further ado the tank so far. Still can't find the perfect hideaway.

Also does anyone think the T-rex might be a bad idea, it is a bubbler where the mouth opens and shuts?
Garth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #2 
Irish Dancing Man

The t'Rex is kool but did you say it opens and closes when it bubbles?? it might chomp down on him/her
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #3 
JackisLost

Just cycle it with a betta, they are more hardy than tetras. It would save you the time and money finding the tetras a home. Are people afraid of cycling tanks with bettas? They are the one of the strongest fish I know
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

Looks good! I love real plants in a tank. For a hiding spot, you can use a simple terra cotta pot or a coffee mug on its side until you find something you love!

That's okay you forgot to get the test strips. For cycling a tank, get a liquid test kit because it will be much more accurate.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Tetras arent the greatest to start the cycle with, Id send them back ;) Theyre very sensitive and actually should only be added to an already* cycled tank.

Dont get test strips, theyre crap. Get a master and ammonia kit that is liquid* instead. Ammonia should not go over .5ppm with any kind of fish inside. Opt for .25->.5ppm, doing a water change when it approaches 5.

If youre gonna use a fish, either get a heartier kind or just use the betta :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #6 
Garth13

Thanks guys! I really wanted to move him into his new home, so this is good news. The tetra's are going to my boyfriends house.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #7 
Garth13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Dancing Man View Post
The t'Rex is kool but did you say it opens and closes when it bubbles?? it might chomp down on him/her
That is what I was concerned with, but I don't think it will because it closes pretty fast and it also blows bubbles. The tetras also won't get near the head at all.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #8 
Garth13

Before I give them away, are these kind of tetras compatible with Bettas?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...&lmdn=Pet+Type

They probably aren't but I might as well ask any way, before they become food for a Jack Dempsey (these were breed by the store owner so the JD isn't going to get anything).
Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

No, because their max temp is below your betta's needed range of temps.

One of your fish would be chronically uncomfortable.

If you like tetras, try cardinal tetras :B And ones like that, the little ones. Opt for ones that dont grow over 2 inches, because you need 5 for the shoal, thats a lot plus the betta.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Oh, and neons, of course :B Female guppies and platies work well, too. Try asking the compatibility forum with a thread on your ideas :)