Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #1 
Atolon

Good idea?

I'm shopping around to get a tank upgrade, and while there are some nice packages out there, I think building my own will be better/cheaper.

I'm thinking of a 10 or 15 gallon tank, with a AquaClear 30 Aquarium Power Filter.

I'm thinking that maybe the filter wont fit with a standard lid, so I need help finding a lid that has a good light and will house the bigger filter.

I've heard from several people that getting a filter that can handle more than what your tank holds will run better.

Any tips?
Atolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #2 
luluo

I'm a newbie so take this for what it's worth. :) In doing my research the general consensus was that you want to get a filter that you can adjust the flow, or somehow be able to deflect the flow so as not to stress your betta or cause damage to the fins.

I have a Tom's Rapids Power Filter PF-80. It is doing fine in my 10 gallon. I have the flow turned down pretty low and D'Argo seems to be doing great with it.

I don't see why that HOB filter you linked to wouldn't fit in a standard hood. The bulk of the HOB filters are on the back side of the tank, not in the tank. The hood I got with my 10g kit ($19.99 sale at Petsmart) had a fairly large hole pre cut for the filter. I had to actually put an index card covered in electrical tape to cover the gap between the hood and my filter so that D'Argo wasn't tempted to try and jump out.

The kit that I got came with the 10g tank/hood & bulbs/whisper power filter. I opted to go with different bulbs and a different filter but it probably wasn't necessary. And of course I had to buy a good heater.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #3 
DoNotDeclaw

There's an aquaclear 20, it's smaller and fits up to a 20 gallon. I have it and it doesn't seem too strong. You can also adjust the flow.
DoNotDeclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #4 
Atolon

I was thinking of an aquaclear 20, but if the price isn't too different.. I might as well go for the 30 gallon filter.

Anyone had a website to hood/lids that will house a good bulb?
Atolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #5 
JackisLost

I love piecing my tank together, but I usually overspend. I like fluval c-series filters (I currently run a zoo med 501 canister). Rimless aquariums (mr.aqua or ADA). Hoods can be made by plexiglass or acrylic sheets and made to fit. Lights, I like LED's like marineland double brights
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #6 
fishman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atolon View Post
I was thinking of an aquaclear 20, but if the price isn't too different.. I might as well go for the 30 gallon filter.

Anyone had a website to hood/lids that will house a good bulb?
here's alink to somehoods http://www.petco.com/N_24_123/Fish-T..._HoodsLighting

And I suggest a the 20 gallon filter.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Youre looking for something less expensive? I can find you a good tank kit for just the cost of that filter :P
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote