Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #1 
l n u n l

Plants

I've noticed alot of the Betta owners pics here have live plants growing in their tank. I have a small rock with a artificial plant on it. Is it important for the health and happiness of the Betta fish to have live plants in your tank ? Should I go buy a plant for the tank ?? I have seen betta fish plants both Live and plastic.

Off-topic : Also do Bettas prefer quiet tanks with no bubbling filtration or are they okay being in a tank with bubbles ? I bought a tank that's bigger than the 1/2 gallon bowl I previously held my Bettas in. This tank is 1 gallon and has a bubbling filtration system.
l n u n l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #2 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by l n u n l View Post
I've noticed alot of the Betta owners pics here have live plants growing in their tank. I have a small rock with a artificial plant on it. Is it important for the health and happiness of the Betta fish to have live plants in your tank ? Should I go buy a plant for the tank ?? I have seen betta fish plants both Live and plastic.

Off-topic : Also do Bettas prefer quiet tanks with no bubbling filtration or are they okay being in a tank with bubbles ? I bought a tank that's bigger than the 1/2 gallon bowl I previously held my Bettas in. This tank is 1 gallon and has a bubbling filtration system.

Plants remove ammonia from tanks( the reason we do water changes, we still need to do water changes but plants help lower the risk of our fish becoming sick). so yes they are better for the bettas

Bubbles wont worry most bettas but each to their own, something may take a betta a little getting use to to begin with.

I have read bettas dont like currents which is not true my girls LOVE playing in the currents of the filters :)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

While you dont need live plants, they are a huge asset to any tank. They are a soft and natural place for your fish to hide and sleep on, as well as a great way to remove ammonia (stemmed plants work best for this). If you want to get a plant, go for it! I made a thread on easy care plants, if youd like to look at it. Find one that works best for you- one that you can care for based on your substrate, tank size and lighting :)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67565

Most bettas do not care for current. While yes, there are exceptions, bettas generally do not like to have to contend with a strong current or one that disrupts the surface. Waves on the surface make breathing from the top harder and with such large fins (on males), strong currents from filters and bubblers means more work to swim around and more energy to waste.

You dont* need a bubbler or a filter for your tank, since bettas breathe air from the surface. If you like the bubbler and it doesnt knock your fish around or make the surface wavy, its probably just fine. If not, try lowering the power or dock the power if it uses airline tubing by sinching it. At a lower power (less bubbles), my fish enjoy playing and biting the bubbles. I do not leave it on all the time, maybe just for a few hours.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #4 
fishman12

Yes, plants are very helpful.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote