Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #1 
briser

Talking Help with new live plants asap!

So I decided to buy some new live plants for my 3 tanks since they are good for the cycle/fish. The pet store didn't really know the names of any of them (and neither did I since I'm a plant noob) and they didn't really know the care either so I was wondering if you guys could identify the type and give me some care tips? Also they are in weird little pots, should I remove the pots? Or are the pots okay? And do I burry the roots in the gravel or no? I also got a marimo ball but I know how to care for that haha.

So here they are..

Plant #1

Plant #2

Plant #3
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #2 
Torat

#1 is a java fern. It's a low-light plant, and super-easy to care for. Thrives in my hard water. Does best when given an opportunity to attach itself to driftwood, though mine has done equally well just thrown into the substrate.

#2... Were there little ball things on it? Like, thin twigs with little balls? Or no? If yes, it could be a chainsword. It might be a vallisneria of some sort? I'm not sure. It does look a little like a Hygrophila species. Not sure.

#3 looks like moneywort.

I leave mine in the pot for a few days while it's acclimating to my tank. I let it sink, but don't press it in or anything. Then I take it out and get rid of all the stuffin'. Using a sharp scissors, remove any dead material or any brown leaves (even slightly brown - they aren't gonna get better, usually). Using tank water (nice during water changes), carefully rub your fingers up and down the leaves to get rid of any algae. Then take a fertilizer tab and tangle it up in the roots and plant it in its permanent location. Don't move plants much after you've transplanted them, it's stressful and can cause 'em to die out. Most of the plants you've shown are root-feeders, so the tab will help 'em with root growth. Be careful not to twist it in, otherwise you can damage the roots.

On the moneywort, you see those little dangly white things that look like roots? You can use your sharp scissors and cut 'em unless you're planning on trimming soon and propagating the trimmings (they act as roots on the cuttings). It makes for a cleaner look, and anytime I let mine go they'd take over and eventually root into the substrate and my plant died from where the little white root-y things re-rooted themselves to where their original roots were. They'll grow back. Apparently it happens if they weren't getting enough light or other nutrients where they were, not sure. Mine do fine after I cut 'em. (lol).

Make sure when you plant the plants, you don't plant them any deeper than they were in the pots. So however deep they are now in those pots, try not to get too much deeper up the stem in your substrate.
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #3 
briser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torat View Post
#1 is a java fern. It's a low-light plant, and super-easy to care for. Thrives in my hard water. Does best when given an opportunity to attach itself to driftwood, though mine has done equally well just thrown into the substrate.

#2... Were there little ball things on it? Like, thin twigs with little balls? Or no? If yes, it could be a chainsword. It might be a vallisneria of some sort? I'm not sure. It does look a little like a Hygrophila species. Not sure.

#3 looks like moneywort.

I leave mine in the pot for a few days while it's acclimating to my tank. I let it sink, but don't press it in or anything. Then I take it out and get rid of all the stuffin'. Using a sharp scissors, remove any dead material or any brown leaves (even slightly brown - they aren't gonna get better, usually). Using tank water (nice during water changes), carefully rub your fingers up and down the leaves to get rid of any algae. Then take a fertilizer tab and tangle it up in the roots and plant it in its permanent location. Don't move plants much after you've transplanted them, it's stressful and can cause 'em to die out. Most of the plants you've shown are root-feeders, so the tab will help 'em with root growth. Be careful not to twist it in, otherwise you can damage the roots.

On the moneywort, you see those little dangly white things that look like roots? You can use your sharp scissors and cut 'em unless you're planning on trimming soon and propagating the trimmings (they act as roots on the cuttings). It makes for a cleaner look, and anytime I let mine go they'd take over and eventually root into the substrate and my plant died from where the little white root-y things re-rooted themselves to where their original roots were. They'll grow back. Apparently it happens if they weren't getting enough light or other nutrients where they were, not sure. Mine do fine after I cut 'em. (lol).

Make sure when you plant the plants, you don't plant them any deeper than they were in the pots. So however deep they are now in those pots, try not to get too much deeper up the stem in your substrate.
Thanks for all the great info! The Plant #2 looks just like grass.. there is nothing on it, just looks like grass from outside or something. If that helps you identify it any better.

Where can I get fertilizer tabs? The fish store misinformed me and told me I didn't need fertilizer.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

#1. Java fern. Mine is attached to rocks to anchor them in the tank.

#3. I thought the third plant looks like bacopa which I have in my tank. I love it!

I hope you'll share some photos of your tank when you get the plants in. About a month after I put plants in my tank (despite having isolated my plants in non-treated water for over a day before they went into my aquarium when I got them), I found a snail in my tank crawling on my java fern. It was just a tiny little one about the size of the end of a pencil. I assume it came on my plants. Just something to keep an eye out for too!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #5 
turtle10

About the java fern… the thick root part, called the rhizome, should never, ever be buried.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #6 
ireland

The #2 plant can be mondo grass, but I may be wrong. Mondo grass is not a true aquatic plant and will soon die off if its submerge, but a lot of big chain store sell it for some reason.

As for fertilizer, if you don't want to get detailed into it then you can try looking for any Seachem Flourish fertilizer products at you LFS. They have the root tab as well. Though Seachem Flourish do have a good line of fertilizer products, if you want to really get into it I suggest getting fertilizer in powder form and then mixing your own batch of fertilizer, it last longer this way and its more bang for you buck.
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

#2 looks like micro sword to me.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...805&pcatid=805
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #8 
rogue619

#1 is definitely a java fern. low light, slow grower, don't bury the rhizome, no ferts really needed. #2 is either chain sword or possibly saggitarius. medium light, root feeder, some ferts is good. #3 is a type of bacopa, and I believe bacopa caroliniana. medium to high light, stem plant, only use ferts if you plan to dose regularly.
rogue619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #9 
hodgepodgen

Hmm... looks like the third plant has snail eggs on the base. Just a heads up. =o
hodgepodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #10 
briser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgepodgen View Post
Hmm... looks like the third plant has snail eggs on the base. Just a heads up. =o
Nope! No snails so far!

So #1 which I now know is Java Fern, is doing great. I have it in my tank that gets the least light and it looks super healthy! I also add liquid fertilizer to it (safe for fish, obviously) and everything seems great so far.

#2 .. Still no clue what this is. A few "strands" of grass died but other than that it seems perfectly healthy.. My fish loves to swim through it, I give it the same fertilizer as above and have it in medium light since I'm not too sure what light it needs.

#3 has been growing a LOT, so I've been trimming it.. I looked up online that aquatic plants that grow roots near the top of the plant can be trimmed one inch under the roots and you can then plant that part you trimmed since it now has its own roots. So far this has been proven to be correct. I'm kind of worried though because most of the main plant has been turning brown.. at first it was just the leaves (was not able to "rub" off the brown stuff) and the leaves that were brown easily fell off.. now the stem is starting to get a bit brown.. I have it in high light, which is 25 watts (my tank can't take anything under 25 watts, says inside the hood.) Maybe it's because of too much light? I use the same fertilizer as mentioned above.

Ps: When I talk about low/medium/high light, I mean it as 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness :)