Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #1 
MomokoCove

Help!!!

Housing
What size is your tank? Emergency 1/2 gallon qt temp with cold water.
What temperature is your tank? 70 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Female betta with another female

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets,bloodworms,hikari frozen brine,bettamin flakes and anti-bacterial preventatives
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day sometihng different.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Chlor-out

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No I cant
Ammonia: n.a
Nitrite: n.a
Nitrate: n.a
pH: n.a
Hardness: n.a
Alkalinity: n.a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Dahlia has a huge belly and clamped fins same with Persephone.White/chlear fungi
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? They are lethargic and only come up for air or to rest and eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes.Anti-bacterial meds and salt.When salt touched the they started twitching and freaking out.I forgot this means something but I forgot what!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes.Ich with Dahlia.
How old is your fish (approximately)?Dahlia 1 yr.Persephone 8 mths.
MomokoCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #2 
russalka

To treat with salt, I believe you need to do a water change, cup the fish, dissolve the correct amount of salt into the water, and put the fish back into the water. The salt crystals should not touch them. Do you have a thermometer? Can you warm the water when you change it so that they are more comfortable?
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomokoCove View Post
Housing
What size is your tank? Emergency 1/2 gallon qt temp with cold water.
What temperature is your tank? 70 degrees. This is too cold. Opt for 74-6' for now.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Female betta with another female
They live in the same tank? Divided or loose?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets,bloodworms,hikari frozen brine,bettamin flakes and anti-bacterial preventatives
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day sometihng different.
How often and how much do you feed the freeze dried foods? Doing it more than once during a week and only a bit that one time and up the chance for bloat.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What is the ORIGINAL tank's size?
Change the water in the half gallon(s, right?!) each day.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Chlor-out

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No I cant
Ammonia: n.a
Nitrite: n.a
Nitrate: n.a
pH: n.a
Hardness: n.a
Alkalinity: n.a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Dahlia has a huge belly and clamped fins same with Persephone.White/chlear fungi
Fungus is very rare in bettas, this is more likely bacterial, not fungus. Is it cottony, fuzzy, what? Pictures, please. Clamped fins are a sign of discomfort, too cool of water, bad water params and parasites.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? They are lethargic and only come up for air or to rest and eat.
Eating is a good sigh..
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
You only noticed this today? Are you sure? Things like the white stuff doesnt happen that fast, usually.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes.Anti-bacterial meds and salt.When salt touched the they started twitching and freaking out.I forgot this means something but I forgot what!
I hope AQ salt. Up to 2 tsp/gallon. Twitching and scratching usually means parasites, I think.
What medicine? This is important.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes.Ich with Dahlia. How long ago? Did it go away? Did you treat it correctly?
How old is your fish (approximately)?Dahlia 1 yr.Persephone 8 mths.
Please post the original tank's stats, temp, water changes, size, etc. Telling us their temporary digs doesnt help you.

Change the water, redose to 2tsp/gallon of AQ. If that medicine is bettafix (lol) discontinue use. Please tell us what it is. The temp shouldnt be that low, opt to have it 74-77'. Add an air stone to prevent bacterial growth.

If theyre in the SAME 1/2 gallon tank, get them OUT! They need sep. containers.

Pics will help soooo much.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #4 
MomokoCove

This is too cold. Opt for 74-6' for now. Ok

They live in the same tank? Divided or loose? Loose

How often and how much do you feed the freeze dried foods? Doing it more than once during a week and only a bit that one time and up the chance for bloat. I feed about 4-5 bloodworms.2 for each girl usually and only 2 or 3 times a week.

Change the water in the half gallon(s, right?!) each day.
10 gallons and ok.

Fungus is very rare in bettas, this is more likely bacterial, not fungus. Is it cottony, fuzzy, what? Pictures, please. Clamped fins are a sign of discomfort, too cool of water, bad water params and parasites.I can't get a good pic.But it's fuzzy and sorta loose.

You only noticed this today? Are you sure? Things like the white stuff doesnt happen that fast, usually.Well I didn't really take a good look at them for a couple days and just fed them since they looked fine.

I hope AQ salt. Up to 2 tsp/gallon. Twitching and scratching usually means parasites, I think.
What medicine? This is important.
Jungle Anti-Bacterial Medicated food for internal and external bacterial infections.Mom being an idiot put in a few drops of Jungle Ick Guard.
How long ago? Did it go away? Did you treat it correctly? 6 months ago.It went away.Used Jungle Ick Guard correctly.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #5 
BettasForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomokoCove View Post
This is too cold. Opt for 74-6' for now. Ok

They live in the same tank? Divided or loose? Loose

How often and how much do you feed the freeze dried foods? Doing it more than once during a week and only a bit that one time and up the chance for bloat. I feed about 4-5 bloodworms.2 for each girl usually and only 2 or 3 times a week.

Change the water in the half gallon(s, right?!) each day. 10 gallons and ok.

Fungus is very rare in bettas, this is more likely bacterial, not fungus. Is it cottony, fuzzy, what? Pictures, please. Clamped fins are a sign of discomfort, too cool of water, bad water params and parasites.I can't get a good pic.But it's fuzzy and sorta loose.

You only noticed this today? Are you sure? Things like the white stuff doesnt happen that fast, usually.Well I didn't really take a good look at them for a couple days and just fed them since they looked fine.

What medicine? This is important. Jungle Anti-Bacterial Medicated food for internal and external bacterial infections.Mom being an idiot put in a few drops of Jungle Ick Guard.
How long ago? Did it go away? Did you treat it correctly? 6 months ago.It went away.Used Jungle Ick Guard correctly.
Your boy and girl(x2) are in with eachother? Try using dividers. I don't think that they can be housed together, but please correct me if I'm wrong! :3
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #6 
MomokoCove

Oh no.My boy is in a 10g himself.I have 3 females.The ill are in quarantine but I'm in process of breeding the healthy.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Just for the future, I would add at least another female in your sorority to help keep aggression equal.

Is it fuzzy and stringy? Or cottony and growing round? Look up columnaris on google does it look like that?

I would try and get some sort of anti biotic medicine. Keep up with the changes salt, keep the temp more moderate, add an air stone if you can, and, if still bloated, fast them for three days to see if they improve. (Btw- cut back to the freeze dried stuff to one time once a week!)

Good antibiotics include melafix and manacryn (sp, lol) 1 and 2 together and maroxy..

Try getting in touch with OFL and give all the stats and info you can. Use pictures if you can and if not try to find pictures via google if you cant find them.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #8 
MomokoCove

Ah yes.The sorority.I know.I had 5.But somehow Valentine and Caledonia mysteriously disappeared one day.I've been meaning to get more.But Dahlia has been with Persephone since Persephone was tiny so they act like sisters.Canaria is cheeky because she introduced later.But I do intend to get more soon.Fuzzy and stringy.It looks like columnaris.The clear and stringy one.Second pic on google pictures if you just type columnaris in.I will cut back though.I have their anti-biotics already but I'll try and get some more.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

This is what Im suspecting....I suspect that your fish got into a fight. Maybe not a huge fight, but a fight enough to get wounds. These wounds may have left them stressed and hurt, which led to the columnaris...
If you suspect columnaris, Id say:
Get a gram negative or broad spectrum anitbiotic. Stay away from Melafix, because it treats gram positive..
Maracyn I and II together
Methylene blue baths (http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...ish-baths.html), get advisement first..
Keept the salt up
Do the 100% changes
Make sure the water temp stays under 76' and what ever temp it is stays CONSTANT.

Again, for more meds ask OFL, I cant remember them DX
Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #10 
MomokoCove

Apparently I can only shop at petco and petsmart for these.Does either have a gram negative or broad spectrum antibiotic?I'm bad at finding meds online.