Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #1 
Welsh

Water Condtioner Question

This is probably going to sound like a very noobish question and for those who don't know me, your probably going to think i'm either, new to this hobby or very stupid and I am going to have to admit, its the latter! haha

Anyway, here it goes. I have always read the label on the bottle and followed the instructions, on how to dose the tank. However, my puny little brain fails to understand, whether its the tank or the bucket that in fact needs to be dosed.

For example... I take 2 buckets of water from the tank and then add conditioner to the new 2 buckets of water. For all I know this could be right and this is exactly how I've been doing it, since I started this expensive fish hobby but its dawned on me recently - after re-reading the bottle that surely this can't be right, so I decided to come back here after a few months of being absent, to let you guys set me straight. :D

Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

Hi, Welsh! How goes it? Have missed you & your posts!!!! Don't be such a stranger - PLEASE! :)

OK - I put my conditioner (I use Prime) in the buckets of new water. I add it while the bucket is filing so it gets mixed in right away Then I pour the conditioned water into the tank.

Hope that helps!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #3 
bettafish15

I put the conditioner in the buckets, stir the water with my finger a tad, then pour the new water in. ^^ I wouldnt want to put the condtioner in after and risk any chlorine near my fish.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 
Blazer23

Is it okay if I store conditioned water for the next water change? Or does the conditioned water wear off or is it condition for life
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #5 
JKfish

:) Once it's conditioned, it's conditioned for good; all the dechlorinator does is remove the chlorine and chloramines that are toxic to the fish. A lot of hobbiests do store their water and let it age. Aging water does have it's benifits apparently, but I've been fine just dechlorinating and tossing it into the tank.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #6 
Pekemom

I always keep one gallon of aged water for top-off. I use it all week long.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I dose for the whole tank...For example...If the bottle says 5 ml per 10 gallons and I am doing a 50% change on a 10 gallon...I fill up 5 gallon of fresh water in jugs but I would dose 1ml per gallon jug...So it ends up being 5 ml. I dose the whole 10 gallon tank. I dont add the water conditioner directly into the tank though..I do it per gallon jug..It would easier to fill up a 5 gallon bucket..but I can't carry those around as easily...I have a bad back.......I am not sure if this is correct or not though...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #8 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I dose for the whole tank...For example...If the bottle says 5 ml per 10 gallons and I am doing a 50% change on a 10 gallon...I fill up 5 gallon of fresh water in jugs but I would dose 1ml per gallon jug...So it ends up being 5 ml. I dose the whole 10 gallon tank. I dont add the water conditioner directly into the tank though..I do it per gallon jug..It would easier to fill up a 5 gallon bucket..but I can't carry those around as easily...I have a bad back.......I am not sure if this is correct or not though...
I think you are wasting conditioner (and money) by dosing the entire tank. Only the new water needs to be conditioned.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I think you are wasting conditioner (and money) by dosing the entire tank. Only the new water needs to be conditioned.
You may be right..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #10 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer23 View Post
Is it okay if I store conditioned water for the next water change? Or does the conditioned water wear off or is it condition for life
I always let my new "conditioned" water sit overnight. This allows the water to reach room temperature.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote