Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Mosquito Larvae

So I was wondering, I would like to be able to feed my bettas some live food this year. I was thinking mosquito larvae because I would rather not buy the food. Do you guys know anything about harvesting mosquito larvae in a way that is sanitary/safe? Thanks! Oh and one more thing...if there is a safe way, when should I do it?
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Once spring hits I start gathering and feeding mosquito larva and other critters that grow in tubs of water out in my yard.....to all my fish

The water may be dirty or nasty...but if the larva are alive the water should be safe......I have gathered from some pretty nasty water....just rinse really well before feeding......and never add the water to the tank...just the larva....I use an eye dropper to feed.....

I use a brine shrimp net to harvest..... rinse well..... then feed.....I feed the larva at all stages....I also will keep some in fresh water in the house...with a lid.....but its best to go outside to open the container since you will have larva that turn into mosquito...lol.....you don't want them in the house.....

If you keep some in a container in the house be sure and change the water each day.....

If you are feeding them for conditioning reasons make sure they eat all of them...sometimes one will get away and it may not be a mosquito larva and turn into a monster...lol....dragonfly nymp and eat the fry......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #3 
BlackberryBetta

Cool thanks! I wasn't thinking about feeding fry. Just my full grown guys. Is there anything I need to do to the larva before feeding like conditioning it in clean water? And can I feed anything really that grows in tubs to my fish? Thanks! And when should I start putting out tubs? Where I live the weather is jumping all around from +15 to -3, but there was mosquitos out yesterday.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I have been gathering mosquito larva for about a month already.....I don't do anything special to the larva other than a rinse in clean water........

Some of the critters in my buckets...I have no idea what they are and I feed it to all my fish and have not killed anything due to it....I have had a few monster show up...lol.....dragonfly larva/nymps and some other creature.....just one of the perils of feeding live foods....but the good out weighs the bad IMO......
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #5 
BlackberryBetta

Ok thanks! I think I am going to put out tubs today! Yay! I am so excited! Do you just out out tap water?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

To be honest...I am not sure how chlorine effect mosquito larva.....I have well water so that something I don't worry about....but to ensure success....you may want to add dechlorinator unless you have rainwater....
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #7 
BlackberryBetta

Ok thanks!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #8 
BlackberryBetta

Yayyyy! I finally got some! I am so excited! My bettas LOVE them! It's their first real experience with live food. Ate 'em up pretty fast! So I have 1 more question, is it okay to feed live food every day? Like I mean only 1 out of the 2 meals. Its pretty much summer here and I know that I will get lots this year. Its natural for them right? I mean they ARE fish. What do you guys think?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #9 
nowzem

I set out a tiny tupperware to catch some larvae but it keeps raining and spilling all the eggs out, rar! :) Perhaps I need a larger container, heehe.
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #10 
BlackberryBetta

Ya I have a bucket with dirt and leaves at the bottom and then catch the right amount of larva for 1 betta, put it in a tupperware container with conditioned water, then when its feeding time, just put the betta in the conatiner with the larva until he eats them up, but him back in his tank! I dont put the larva in the tank because they are very small and if the bettas dont eat them, I will have a mosquito problem in my house! lol