Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Once the mosquito larva start...I feed mass amounts to all my fish for every meal....have never had any bloat or health issues related to feeding the larva....they get so excited when they know live food is coming....lol...

This IME is one of the best foods to use to get the Bettas in breeding condition too......once they start feeding on larva its hard to get them to stop spawning....lol......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #12 
BlackberryBetta

Yay! I guess they will be eating live food this summer! Thanks for all the help! It will be hard to get them back on pellets this fall!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #13 
nowzem

I found larvae today! I had a great time feeding my guys :) How much do you guys usually feed? The larvae are different sizes....I just gave them a couple each because they already got pellets today (except my one betta who refuses pellets except for every blue moon...he got about 5 :))
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

I collect larva by the net full along with other aquatic larva..rinse and dump in the tank...I don't count them...lol......I do have a couple of males alone in smaller tanks and I give them a dozen or so.....I have never had any health problems from feeding live foods like this..their tummy will get full looking but this is not bloat...its a full tummy and normal and expected....it goes down in a few hours as they digest the food....

When I am getting ready for spawning...I mass feed them....all they can eat even leaving some in the tanks for later......you will be amazed at how fast you can get a betta ready for spawning with mass feeding of live food like this and the readiness they display.....if you have a hard to spawn Betta....try mass feeding mosquito larva for several days....its a great trigger...instinct tells them that when they have lots of food its time to reproduce......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #15 
nowzem

I'm hoping to try breeding this summer, so that's handy info! <3

I *tried* feeding the worms to my females, but they are in a large sorority with some congo tetras and those tetras are PIGS. Needless to say, the congos are faster than my bettas and usually get the best food for themselves. Luckily my bettas are smarter and will take food from my hands! (^_^) Also, I'm not squeamish so the larvae doesn't bother me (at least not until they grow up!l
Old 05-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

Make sure you check city ordinances before collecting... If you live in a pretty urban area it might be illegal to leave stagnant water out due to west nile. In the country its usually not a big deal but its a big no no in the suburbs
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #17 
nowzem

I live in the country on 30 acres...so I doubt anyone's gonna come a-knocking about skeeters :) And besides, I collected mine from natural sources so I can't be responsible for THAT (although I'm sure they'd still find a way to ticket me!)

Thanks for the heads up, though! <3. I didn't realize they can fine you for something like that...not sure how I feel about that since west nile and malaria are so horrible...but STILL!