Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #1 
Baylor The Modern Hero

What's wrong with Saito?

Ok, so I bought Saito (named after the village in Japan that got decimated during the recent disaster) from a local pet store on Sunday or Monday. With the kit I bought came some generic fish flakes, Betta water decontamination solution, a fake plant, and some gravel. Since then, I have upgraded everything:
.5 Gallon tank to 2.5 gallon tank
Added extra gravel
Changed from generic flakes to blood worms
Added an intake filter
Added a thermometer/heater device
added a "Lucky bamboo" plant

I noticed that his fins did look a little bit more ragged than usual. Not too ragged, mind you, but enough to raise concern.

Before moving:
After Moving:

Should I be more concerned than I am right now, or is this normal?
Also, I don't know the pH, Nitrite, Nitrate, or Ammonia level, as I have a regular filter and also Harp's Exotic Pets and Fish doesn't have them. But if I need to get them, I can go to PetsMart if required.
Baylor The Modern Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #2 
Baylor The Modern Hero

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons, 12x6x8 inches
What temperature is your tank? Between 79-82 degrees Fahrenheit.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A bamboo plant

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Just made a 100% change on Thursday, April 7th
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Just mad a 100% change, but plan on performing 20% changes every week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? One cap-full (about 5 mL) of Nutrafin BettaPlus tap-water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n.a.
Nitrite: n.a.
Nitrate: n.a.
pH: n.a.
Hardness: n.a.
Alkalinity: n.a.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins look a little bit worn and tattered.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He keeps chasing the back of the aquarium.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? April 8th, 2011
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No. I don't know how to treat him. This is my first betta.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him from the store on Sunday, April 3rd, but other than that (as in breeding age) I don't know.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #3 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylor The Modern Hero View Post
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons, 12x6x8 inches
What temperature is your tank? Between 79-82 degrees Fahrenheit.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A bamboo plant
Make sure the leaves are not submerged, or else it will die.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze-dried bloodworms
Freeze dried bloodworms are a treat, and should only be fed about once a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Just made a 100% change on Thursday, April 7th
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Just mad a 100% change, but plan on performing 20% changes every week
Since you don't know if you tank is cycled or not, I suggest you do two 50% water changes for a few weeks, and then down to a regular schedule of 50% a week. 20% is not enough.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? One cap-full (about 5 mL) of Nutrafin BettaPlus tap-water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n.a.
Nitrite: n.a.
Nitrate: n.a.
pH: n.a.
Hardness: n.a.
Alkalinity: n.a.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins look a little bit worn and tattered.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He keeps chasing the back of the aquarium.
He may be able to see his reflection. Try taping some construction paper to the back of the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? April 8th, 2011
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No. I don't know how to treat him. This is my first betta.
Just keeping up with the water changes and a healthier diet will make him better.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him from the store on Sunday, April 3rd, but other than that (as in breeding age) I don't know.
He is probably from 6 months to a year old if he is from a pet store.
Sorry about your fishy!
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #4 
Baylor The Modern Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Sorry about your fishy!
Wait, is the intake filter not considered "cycling"? I'm not too familiar with some of these terms.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Wait, is the intake filter not considered "cycling"? I'm not too familiar with some of these terms.
Cycling is when colonies of bacteria develop on the filter. This takes weeks. It is called the nitrogen cycle. You won't know if you are cycled unless you know ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #6 
Baylor The Modern Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Cycling is when colonies of bacteria develop on the filter. This takes weeks. It is called the nitrogen cycle. You won't know if you are cycled unless you know ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
Oh, ok. Thanks! I plan on going to PetsMart tomorrow to pick up something to test the levels.
For a more "healthy diet," what would be best? He doesn't seem to eat the flakes that came with the initial betta setup.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Pellets are the best. I used Wardleys Betta Pellets. :D They are larger than some other kinds of pellets though, so presoak them in a tiny container of tank water a few minutes before feeding. Feed no more than 5 pellets a day, 4 being the best amount :)

Also, when you go to petsmart to get a test kit, make sure it's a liquid test kit, and not strips because they can be inaccurate :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Oh, ok. Thanks! I plan on going to PetsMart tomorrow to pick up something to test the levels.
For a more "healthy diet," what would be best? He doesn't seem to eat the flakes that came with the initial betta setup.
I would get a small pellet that has at least 45% protein and the first two ingredients are sea foody. If you have some extra money you can spend, you should get some frozen brine shrimp or mosquito larvae. Petco has a freezer in the fish section that has them, so I am sure petsmart does to. I got a package of brine shrimp for about 5 dollars. Frozen foods are a great way to add healthy variation to a diet.

I would also recommend getting a liquid test kit that tests for all three chemicals. Avoid strips, they are inaccurate.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #9 
Baylor The Modern Hero

Alrighty then. I'll head out tomorrow to pick up some better food and a testing kit. I will be sure to post on his condition soon. Thank you guys for the advice!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #10 
Baylor The Modern Hero

Ok, so Saito had recovered since the last time I posted. However, this morning, I woke up to find this:

Yeah, horrifying. I know for a fact that he is a Veil-tail betta and that they are not suppose to look like this. I'm going out later today after school to buy some testing utensils and probably some medicine for him. Any other suggestions?

Tags
emergency, tail rot, tattered