Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #1 
AbbiMoeBetta

Talking Hi i am new

I am new member to this site. Well we all know y i am here....BETTA FISHES .

I got interested in betta fish about a month back but i do not own one as yet...I am waiting until i can afford everything i need based on the posts i have read.

The main reason i have decided to get a betta fish is I still live my mom until i finish university and she has pretty much forbid me from having pets..i love cats..so i decided on a smalled caged friend..

Seeing as it would be the first time i would be owning a pet i decided to go the pet fish route..After much research on what type of fish to select i came across the bettas...and i instantly fell in love with them.. They are so beautiful its unbelievable..

So i am doing my research and making sure i know enough and have enough money before i get one.

I have visited my local pet shop several times to see if they have bettas ..they do (lucky me)....everytime i go to the pet shop i get excited...lol...they store their bettas in a little clip on thing inside the other fishes aquariums...

Today i visited the shop and i saw this really amazing red (my favourite color) betta, it was so small...i think it may be a half moon i am not sure..still dont know how to distinguish all the types...but it looks in perfect condition...I hope they still have it when i go to buy..

So i am planning to get a betta in may...i have too many extra expenses right now but they will be over in may...(yay...lol)...im getting excited just thinking about it...

I live in jamaica which is pretty near to the equator and the temp gets really hot occasionally but generally its warm...i was wondering if i still need a heater for my tank..i am hoping to get a 10 gal. tank..

You can give me any other tips that may have not been stated on the site..can never have too much info..

Thanks.
AbbiMoeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #2 
denaliwind

Welcome! :D Congrats on deciding to introduce a betta fish in to your family. :) Bettas are fantastic fish friends, they all have such individual personalities and quirks.
What's your average day and night temperatures? I think... if I remember correctly, that the water temperature tends to be 5 degrees cooler then room temperature... but I'm not 100% positive. >.<;
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #3 
AbbiMoeBetta

Thank you for the welcome....During the day if its not overcast or raining it gets hot enuff for you to need to use a fan or a/c..dont know the actual temp....at night it can get cooler but i usually have my fan on me so i cant give an accurate temp...but some night or early morning it is cold enuff to drive me to turn the fan off...it varies alot..

also if no1 is usually at home for 8hr is it still ok to get a betta?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #4 
Luimeril

while bettas love human company, they'll be fine during the day if no one's around. :)

glad you chose a betta as your first fish! they're amazing little fish. :)
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #5 
AbbiMoeBetta

thank you luimeril...yea they seem amazing...i wud av picked a goldfish if i didnt find out about bettas, glad i did....lol

i cant wait to own one and experience it myself...now im limited to oogling at them on youtube or images from google...i have a pic of a red one as my laptop wallpaper for weeks now..lol...i may be getting addicted.. i may soon be following you with the "and counting"
Old 04-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #6 
Tisia

if your temperature fluctuates a lot, would probably be a good idea to get a heater just to keep it a bit more steady
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #7 
AbbiMoeBetta

thank you tisia....yea i think i will get it..i jus dont want when no1 is at home it gets really hot and the heater is on...i dont want a boiled betta
Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #8 
Tisia

just make sure to get an adjustable one and not one of those "heats 5 degrees above room temp" kind. adjustable should only turn on if it gets below a certain temperature
Old 04-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #9 
AbbiMoeBetta

ok that sounds better...im relieved...
Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #10 
Tisia

glad to help ^_^
oh, and yes, they're very addicting, I got my first one a few weeks ago on a semi whim, then ended up spending a lot upgrading, now I've got a second boy on his way, and hoping to get a little girl at some point as well. plus I'm trying to convince my parents to let me dig out the 26 gallon in their basement to set up a sorority for them, lol

Tags
jamaica