Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #41 
AbbiMoeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
There are heaters that auto shut off if the temperature of the tank gets too high and it will auto kick in if it gets too low. I've recently bought one for Dixie (my betta) and it makes me relax during the school day to know that my betta will be alright at home alone. However, I can't tell you if you'll need a heater because I'm one of the newer members in the betta world just like you. I'm glad that you chose to add a betta into your family because they're very exciting creatures with different personalities and they have several tail types. It'll be fun finding the betta fit for you, but don't rush it because choosing your forever friend should be something you're very specific about. You want to observe and make sure there's no illness or deformities in the betta you're interested in or you could overwhelm yourself. Well, it was nice meeting you and remember that everyone on this forum enjoys pictures of bettas. (It'd be great if you would post pictures of yours when you get it. )
yea a poster had commented and told me about the auto heaters...i will definitely be looking into getting one of those..

I am taking my time before getting a betta, i have been interested in getting one since january but this is a living thing and i dont want to rush and get it and not be prepared to keep it alive for as long as possible..

as soon as i get him and he gets comfy i will post plenty pics..i really hope i get the red one..it looked in pretty good shape, perfect tail, no deformities, no discoloration, responsive.....there are alot of betta lovers out here, i jus hope they happen to miss that one when looking...lol
AbbiMoeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #42 
Dixie

I can't wait to see the pictures.
Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #43 
AbbiMoeBetta

I can't wait to take them
Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #44 
AbbiMoeBetta

i wana cycle my tank because i dont want to do 100% water change...which cycling method do you recommend for me?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #45 
alixhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiMoeBetta View Post
i wana cycle my tank because i dont want to do 100% water change...which cycling method do you recommend for me?
You having a 10gal tank for your bettas right ??
alixhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #46 
AbbiMoeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alixhero View Post
You having a 10gal tank for your bettas right ??
well im considering 2.5 to 10 gal..depends on which is available when i go for the betta
Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #47 
alixhero

Quote:
well im considering 2.5 to 10 gal..depends on which is available when i go for the betta
actually 3gal is more then enough for a single betta , because that is their territory distance range

any male betta who cross that line will be attacked

5gal is minimum for those who want to plant a few live plant (like me , but i only plant 1 Java Ferns in my 1gal bowl) for them to hide and feel secure ..

the advantages of plant is
1: It lure bacteria that eat your fishes waste to maintain pH

2: Your fish love to scratch their body to the leaf to rub of the bacteria or cleaning body

3: They like to sleep on the leafs ~~

the disadvantages of plant is
1: too much bacteria it'll eat your fish flesh because of insufficient waste for them to eat

2: scratch could destroy their lovely fin or tail if used the wrong rough plant

3: sleeping on a unclean orange/yellowish leaf will let the bacteria to land on their body ( VERY BAD )
Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #48 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi AMB, welcome to the addicting world of bettas.

Tank size is personal reference. But since you want to add tank mates, I'd suggest a larger size (10g). Besides, as stated above, you can always divide it and get a second betta.

Plants are good for aquatic life. IMO they help in the nitrogen cycle process. As a beginner, I'd suggest getting a low light/maintenance plant. They usually only need to be occasionally rinsed.
I've heard of many plastic plants to be harmful to bettas. So be careful if you get those.

Cycling is basically the process of changing ammonia (deadly) into nitrate. Basically speaking all you need is an oxygen (pumps, plants) and ammonia source (fish, dead shrimp) and your water will cycle. The whole process may take time though. Over cleaning may disturb the cycle because the bacteria that actually does the work is all over your tank - so never clean 100% when you're cycling...... I can't be more specific since I too have only recently learned about cycling - and I often get nitrite and nitrate mixed up.

Since you live near the equator, IMO you don't really need a heater. As long as the temp is not too low long term, they will be fine. And with an indoor tank, the temp should be fairly stable. BUT to be on the safe side, heaters are good.

Looking forward to see pictures............
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #49 
AbbiMoeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alixhero View Post
actually 3gal is more then enough for a single betta , because that is their territory distance range

any male betta who cross that line will be attacked

5gal is minimum for those who want to plant a few live plant (like me , but i only plant 1 Java Ferns in my 1gal bowl) for them to hide and feel secure ..

the advantages of plant is
1: It lure bacteria that eat your fishes waste to maintain pH

2: Your fish love to scratch their body to the leaf to rub of the bacteria or cleaning body

3: They like to sleep on the leafs ~~

the disadvantages of plant is
1: too much bacteria it'll eat your fish flesh because of insufficient waste for them to eat

2: scratch could destroy their lovely fin or tail if used the wrong rough plant

3: sleeping on a unclean orange/yellowish leaf will let the bacteria to land on their body ( VERY BAD )
Thank you for the information
Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #50 
alixhero

Quote:
Thank you for the information
Well I need more experience too , I'm trying to understand dH now

Tags
jamaica