Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #1 
Epsleck

5 Gallon Tank starting to smell

I've had this tank for a little over a month. It is fully cycled and has been for 2-3 weeks. My room has always smelled like pure cold air. However I noticed a weird musky stench starting to grow stronger and stronger. One night it was unbearable to sleep in the direction of my fish tank.

I do 25% water changes once a week. I've never siphoned the gravel because I just never seem to get it to work. I just end up getting the water even dirtier with his poop floating all around (was my first time doing it just yesterday, about 5 days after having a bad smell) So I changed 60% of the water, and replaced the water filter. His water is very clear and its always had that healthy fish smell inside the tank.. but it seems to be spreading into my room and smelling like poop.

Its actually not bad if I keep my door open, but at night when I sleep or when i go to work I shut it, open it, and good god its terrible. Any suggestions?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 07-26-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Profanity
Epsleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #2 
bettafish15

I would use the siphon to clean the gravel, for one. The siphon sucks up the poop that floats around on water changes, thats what its for. If you siphoned up the poop every water change it wouldnt build up. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube on how to start it.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 07-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #3 
copperarabian

If you don't want to siphon the gravel because it makes his poop float around is a sign your need to siphon the gravel. Your tank probably has a lot of ammonia and decomposing things in the gravel that is causing the smell. Does your tank have a filter? In my experience a stagnant tank will smell worse then a tank that has water movement.

Take your fish out(put him in a little carrier cup like the one's from petco) and do a 100% water change and make sure to clean the gravel really well. If you run out of water and still think the gravel is dirty just add some water form the tap so you can keep cleaning it. After you've refilled the tank start doing weekly 50% water changes, if you don't have a filter you'll need to do 100% water changes every two weeks, and in between do 50% water changes. A bucket can make water changes much easier since it holds more water.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #4 
Epsleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I would use the siphon to clean the gravel, for one. The siphon sucks up the poop that floats around on water changes, thats what its for. If you siphoned up the poop every water change it wouldnt build up. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube on how to start it. Also, swearing isnt allowed on the forum, so please refrain from it for the sake of the younger members.

As to copper there is no ammonia in the tank, it is cycled, and yes I do have a filter. I just went out and bought a new one when i hit my month cap for the previous one. I know I could do a 100% water change to see if the smell goes down, which I will probably have to do eventually but its just a nuisance since I do have a filter, and I attempted to siphon and do frequent water changes already.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #5 
bettafish15

If you just recently got a new filter, you cant be cycled yet, as it takes a new filter about a month to cycle. You dont need to go out and buy new ones, just stick with the one you have, and about once a month, rinse the filter media in some old tank water to get rid of tank gunk, put it back in the filter, and you are good to go. Siphoning is crucial in a tank, so please check out some youtube videos on how to if you cant quite get it. Lots of people have trouble with it, so dont worry about it, we're happy to help.

bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #6 
copperarabian

Maybe it's the food your using. I used to use cichlid Hikari food and even if my cichlid ate all the food it still made my room smell absolutely terrible O.O Like it was soooooo bad smelling I didn't even want to be there!

Last edited by dramaqueen; 07-26-2011 at 07:48 PM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

I think even if u have a filter there is the stuff accumulated under the gravel which not going to be remover by filter.Specially if ur gravel is small . I had 10 gall long time ago with filter and i still was doing 100% water changes between 50% water changes. And it always something under the gravel. So.....
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #8 
Epsleck

Hmmmm.. does your water smell different than from the room? The water in my tank has smelled the same before the smell in my room started to change. As for the filter, it says that once the water starts pouring off to the side that I should change it. The beneficial bacteria is still in the tank so if I put in a new one it should be fine, right? It would just rebuild in the filter.

If all else fails I'll just try a 100% water change and see if the smell dies down, if it doesnt then there might be a different problem. Thanks for the replies
Old 07-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #9 
Fermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsleck View Post
If all else fails I'll just try a 100% water change and see if the smell dies down, if it doesnt then there might be a different problem. Thanks for the replies
Hi there
As several posters have suggested, your gravel needs to be siphoned. Regularly.

If you are unable get your siphon started there are YouTube tutorials (as bettafish15 already suggested). You can also approach one of the staff at your local fish store to have them teach you.

When did you last measure your water parameters and what were the results?

Good luck
-Fermin
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

Sorry i had 10 gall about 4 years ago . Now i keep each of them in 2.5 gall. I still do 100% water changes. I don't have filters. I just rinse the gravel.

Sorry that what i do. Please don't get judgmental. My bettas old and healthy. I used to do 75% to save bacteria. I switched to 100% because of someone recommendations.

Also I saw a lot of recommendations to do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes for the tanks. Of course it depend on the size.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote