Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #131 
Shaon

I have an 18 inch Aqua-Glo 15 watt light. I have about 12 gallons of water in my tank. Is that enough for riccia? (Btw my tanks measurements are 30cm by 60 cm by 35cm. However, there are 12 gallons of water in this tank)

If riccia won't do nicely with this light, any other suggestions for a low light carpet?
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #132 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvinusvz View Post
It's a 10gal rectagular tank.
It might work. Not 100% though. Maybe a more experienced person can interject here?
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #133 
corvinusvz

It’s seems that my light it’s to low :/ at least for my Cryptocoryne parva.
I found this in a planted aquarium forum, hope this helps with the lighting :B
corvinusvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #134 
cableguy69846

That is a pretty decent graph. I would have to look up the requirements for the plants and have to get back to you. I am gonna hit the books in a little bit. After I wake up and have my coffee.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #135 
Wyvern

Yea whilst this thread is going strong PewPewPew - just a quick question about my watersprite. What can I do to keep it very happy? They are planted near a flourish tab. So far they look good but I do have a little browning on the edges of the leaves. But I suspect its just the transition from the wool/gunky stuff they used to be in. Fortunately they where sold from tanks where they were fully submerged.

Also for anyone who buys hairgrass, trim it short! I did an experiment over 2 weeks with two bunches in my tank. One i trimmed the other I didnt. The trimmed one is green and already growing shoots. The other one was turning brown! So it was trimmed short as well today. What I did was just cut the stems about 2cms from the roots off and replanted it. So trim the grass it really does work!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #136 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Yea whilst this thread is going strong PewPewPew - just a quick question about my watersprite. What can I do to keep it very happy? They are planted near a flourish tab. So far they look good but I do have a little browning on the edges of the leaves. But I suspect its just the transition from the wool/gunky stuff they used to be in. Fortunately they where sold from tanks where they were fully submerged.

Also for anyone who buys hairgrass, trim it short! I did an experiment over 2 weeks with two bunches in my tank. One i trimmed the other I didnt. The trimmed one is green and already growing shoots. The other one was turning brown! So it was trimmed short as well today. What I did was just cut the stems about 2cms from the roots off and replanted it. So trim the grass it really does work!

I couldnt really say without looking at it, but certainly keep an eye on it... Ive read not to bury the stem of this plant, so if the stem has been buried, uplift it so that only the spindly roots are under the substrate. Im fairly certain that this plant is a water column feeder, so instead of root tabs, try a liquid micro and macro fertilizer.

How long have you had the sprite? Be careful, too, that it stays in a place that has constant params- like temp, pH, ammonia/nitrite levels (as constant as possible), etc, because this plant is whiney and might throw a fit if it feels "shocked".

Ive noticed that, too, in Dan's tanks-- Kept short it seems happier, at least sans cO2 and all those fancy pants things.

And sorry guys!! I accidentally unsubscribed from my own thread, gyyaaghh! I found this floating around in the habitats section and was like awww craappp >_<"

I think those lights will be ok- but I dont know much about them. Like cableguy said- maybe someone who knows a bit more can help.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #137 
Wyvern

bwahahahhaha pewpewpew

Mine is just the roots that are covered so that they dont float altho I have a few leaves floating.

I was just amazed at the difference in the hairgrass :D I use seachem flourish 2 times a week and excel as well 2 times a week, and now I cant wait for my anubias to arrive next week! All my plants are looking lovely, the watersprite actually is unfurling new leaves so Im assuming its happy. I think its just the adjustment from their tank to mine that caused the browning. But its so little im not really worried about it. Currently Im looking for either a blue or red spectrum light for my tank, but thanks to the lid being so tiny I have to order one from my LPS :S
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #138 
PewPewPew

I'm sorry. I hope the sprite bounces back :D
Old 07-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #139 
PewPewPew

I bought a bunch of new plants for myself and the bf from sweetaquatics to play with!!

Im getting some sagittaria (dwarf), onion plants, bacopa, pennywort, and something else Im forgetting.
Ive yet to personally work with them, so Im sorta excited. Sadly, the African Fern was sold out...Im so sad!

Dan's getting water sprite, wisteria, some vals, nana plants (LOL!) and some more anacharis, because that stuff loves his tanks.

EXCITEMENT.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #140 
cableguy69846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaon View Post
I have an 18 inch Aqua-Glo 15 watt light. I have about 12 gallons of water in my tank. Is that enough for riccia? (Btw my tanks measurements are 30cm by 60 cm by 35cm. However, there are 12 gallons of water in this tank)

If riccia won't do nicely with this light, any other suggestions for a low light carpet?
As far as my research has found, riccia is a high light plant. If you want it to do well, you would need 3 to 4 watts per gallon. You can try it, but I don't think it will do well. But I could be wrong.

Tags
easy, faq, helpful posts, plants