Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #211 
PewPewPew

Great! And that's fine. I love when places have tanks full of plants. Wisteria's really nice, once you allow it to recuperate from adjusting, you can propagate it easily and you'll have lots of new plants :D

And LBF, let us know how it all goes :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #212 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Great! And that's fine. I love when places have tanks full of plants. Wisteria's really nice, once you allow it to recuperate from adjusting, you can propagate it easily and you'll have lots of new plants :D

And LBF, let us know how it all goes :D
If you hear nothing from me, it didn't go well at all Going to post up some shots of the hardscape and my new fish Au Lait. Mum has yet to notice my new addition.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #213 
PewPewPew

What she doesnt know wont hurt her, eh? ;)

I hope it goes well for you, and I hope Au Lait is happies and well, but Im sure thats a non-issue! :)
Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #214 
fishcurl

I picked up something called Cabomba today. I learned after the fact that it needs CO2. Since I'm not about to get into CO2 systems, I'm expecting it to die :(

Here's a pic of the QT tank. I put in a filter to get some water movement happening and some gravel to let the plants root. Is this okay?

You can see Gleep in the corner getting friendly with the filter, lol.

EDIT: Oh, and I picked up some API Liquid Fertilizer. It's in the tank, too.
Attached Images

fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #215 
PewPewPew

It doesnt *need* c02. Most places say ZOMG, NEEDS CO2, but they really dont. Unless you're battling some form of dainty ludwigia or something, meh.

Cabomba does like temps at or under 78'F, though. Ideally, 76 and under, though 77'F was alright when I had it.

I do not believe cabomba will grow roots, I think its like hornwort in that regard. It will be ok to bury though, just no roots from this plant.
Its also a pissypants and will drop nettles and get grouchy. Grouchy cabomba, why you so grouchy?

Clean the nettles up regularly, as they get foul and can become toxic over time (lots of time, you wont need to worry).

It will grow like a weed, too. It'll suck up all the excess nutrients in the tank for you, so algae is a non-issue with that family of plants. It may well die, but it shouldnt. :)

I wish you didnt live in Canada, I would send you a baby java fern :c Stupid customs!

Oh, and look for those (java fern)..theyre cool. B) Hehe.

Edit:
Oh, and I dont think that filter is supposed to go like that... I had one and it said to fill the water to the lip of the spout. That way, too, it oxygenates the water for the plants :)
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #216 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexangelus View Post
Root tabs are an iron-rich supplement in the form of a cube or small block. You bury them in the substrate near root feeders to supply them with necessary nutrients. Most are slow-dissolving (time released, in a way) and are active for a month or so. Essential for those who aren't using plant-specific substrate.
I understand now, Thanks so much!
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #217 
PewPewPew

Im in the process of writing another, better guide. I've added a section on lighting, substrates, fertilizers and what to avoid (like those plants that they sell that arent aquatic, lol!) as well as a bunch more easy-care plants.

Its still limited, but I think Ive gotten about all that I can into this newer guide. I still want to keep what I have listed easy to find. Nothing like wanting a plant, only to find out its sorta hard to get :/

Im gonna see if maybe (I feel silly for saying it...) I can get the v.2 one stickied, for reference. Goodness knows we get tons of the same questions, over and over :) Hehehe <3

Awww, here it goes! (lol!!)
Old 07-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #218 
Nexangelus

Ohh a guide! Can I contribute a high-tech section complete with the harder plants and help with those looking to transition in to a high-tech setup? I guess it wouldn't be used as much with betta setups, but it may be cool for the few thinking about it or wondering what they can do to go "all-out".

Feel free to bounce any ideas or questions you have off of me. Seems like we've both tried a good number of fertalizers and substrates and could make a pretty complete guide. Have you seen OFL's tanks in the picture forum? We may need to employ her knowledge, too!

@LittleBettaFish: What you're doing sounds really cool - I rarely see laterite used anymore now that all these fancy "plant ready" substrates are around. Would you mind throwing up a picture or messaging me an image of your tank? I'd love to see it, even if it's not complete yet!
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #219 
PewPewPew

Heehee, I am quite the creeper on OFL's tanks... Poor OFl, Im always right up in her business every time she shows her tanks off. God love her for not telling me to go scratch! :D <3 <3 Hahaha!

What kinds of ferts have you/do you use and like? I cant think of any more to list, but usually only go by what chain stores have. I want my guide to be easy-care and easy-find, which is usually ok, but for ferts and stuff I know Im personally willing to go out of my way to find something better than usual >.<

Do you know the names of some good (or even decent) enriched substrates? How about you, LBF or cableguy, if youre here lurking? (lol <3)

Ive never been able to get my mits on it, and only know a brand or two :(

Also, root tabs. I can find like. Two. Sigh. Root tabs, why y no be easier to find?

I dunno if a high-tech guide would fare well on here, per se, since people tend to have smaller tanks and are beginners... But I know we're desperadoes for a good, solid bit on lighting. Lighting can get a but muddled, especially when talking about smaller tanks. I find myself having trouble when the questions go beyond the basis like K rating and WPG and whatnot D:

I do okay just shoving plants in, bit of fertilizer, some root tabs, turn on the lights... Done! Derp!

Less fuss XD Though God knows, I SO want c02, but cant have it at home or in the dorms..boo.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #220 
Nexangelus

I primarily use seachem's line, just because it's availible at my LFS and I get an employee discount, but I've done a bit of reading and will be doing some tests using a few online sources, mainly Pfertz and will try a hand at mixing my own, which the "gurus" swear by... It's supposedly cheaper and more effective. I'm willing to give it a try.

Sure do... Flourite is what I swear by, but eco-complete definitely has it's advantages, mostly that it comes in a "sand" form. Any sort of carpet does WAY better in eco-complete, simply because the flourite has really thick, dense granules.... On the other hand, flourite has been proven to retain it's iron-rich properties for years, whereas eco-complete hasn't been around long enough to prove itself. I'd say those are the best two... There are some crummy brands around, but I wouldn't trust them. They're not that much cheaper and haven't been proven. Only other one to look in to is ADA Aquasoil, which I need to do more reading on before I can provide a knowledgeable opinion.

I figured there wouldn't be much of an audience for high-tech tanks here... I'm always open for questions though! But I'm more than open to help you out with the more technical aspects of lighting... Just ask away.

C02 isn't even a huge space-consuming thing anymore. The one I have hangs on the back of the tank and as you saw, just has a bit of tubing connecting the waterbottle-like canister to the ladder. They're only like 30 dollars, too.

Your avatar is pretty. I like his tail...
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
easy, faq, helpful posts, plants