Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #221 
LittleBettaFish

I usually only use ADA aquasoil or plain gravel/sand enriched with tablet fertilisers. However, someone did this awesome experiment growing crypts in pots, to test several different brands of substrates and additives. I found it really interesting to see what worked best.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ent-Commercial

ADA aquasoil made my hairgrass and crypts grow insanely fast, but I don't really like it from an aesthetics point of view, as well as the fact it leeches a LOT (like more than 4ppm) of ammonia.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #222 
fishcurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
It doesnt *need* c02. Most places say ZOMG, NEEDS CO2, but they really dont. Unless you're battling some form of dainty ludwigia or something, meh.
Whew! That's good to know. But it's not like I'll be too much out of pocket. The only reason why I bought it was because it was on sale :D

I may not put it into Flambé's tank though. I didn't realize it drops nettles. Sounds messy and high-maintenance :p

Quote:
I wish you didnt live in Canada, I would send you a baby java fern :c Stupid customs!
Awww, aren't you sweet! Thank you

I'll keep looking for them; they're really purdy.

Quote:
Oh, and I dont think that filter is supposed to go like that... I had one and it said to fill the water to the lip of the spout. That way, too, it oxygenates the water for the plants :)
I uh...erm...I put it like that to...uh...you know...test you. You know...to see if you'd notice that I put it in completely wrong. Yeah...that's it *shifty eyes*

Okay, no, I didn't. Cranky toddler again yesterday and I just threw it in the tank without reading the instructions

I pulled it up last night after seeing your note. This morning the pump noise is driving me batty. If I can't make it shush, back to the store it goes.

EDIT: An expanded guide would be awesome! Pros and cons of tablet vs liquid fertilizers and a section on quarantine would be nice additions :)
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #223 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexangelus View Post
I primarily use seachem's line, just because it's availible at my LFS and I get an employee discount, but I've done a bit of reading and will be doing some tests using a few online sources, mainly Pfertz and will try a hand at mixing my own, which the "gurus" swear by... It's supposedly cheaper and more effective. I'm willing to give it a try.

Sure do... Flourite is what I swear by, but eco-complete definitely has it's advantages, mostly that it comes in a "sand" form. Any sort of carpet does WAY better in eco-complete, simply because the flourite has really thick, dense granules.... On the other hand, flourite has been proven to retain it's iron-rich properties for years, whereas eco-complete hasn't been around long enough to prove itself. I'd say those are the best two... There are some crummy brands around, but I wouldn't trust them. They're not that much cheaper and haven't been proven. Only other one to look in to is ADA Aquasoil, which I need to do more reading on before I can provide a knowledgeable opinion.

I figured there wouldn't be much of an audience for high-tech tanks here... I'm always open for questions though! But I'm more than open to help you out with the more technical aspects of lighting... Just ask away.

C02 isn't even a huge space-consuming thing anymore. The one I have hangs on the back of the tank and as you saw, just has a bit of tubing connecting the waterbottle-like canister to the ladder. They're only like 30 dollars, too.

Your avatar is pretty. I like his tail...
Ooh, thank you. I'll look them all up and whatnot. If I can find a store that sells it (our petsmart/cos dont, though Im not sure why), Id get it right quick. I tend to not do grasses or carpets, mostly because I move about from my dorm to home and it's a really rough trip, all plants need uprooting :(

My dorm doesnt allow it... Too many mishaps, probably. Oh goodness. My parents can barely stand my one tank as is (I can have only one here, bagh!) and its got nothing fancy. If the opportunity arises, though, I'm gonna jump on c02 right quick!

And thank you! <3 His name is Balthier, aka Baller, because he's ballin'. He's more of a triple tail now that a serious bit of fin rot struck him, so he wont be quite that nicely tailed again. That's fine, though. He's such a sweet soul <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcurl View Post
Whew! That's good to know. But it's not like I'll be too much out of pocket. The only reason why I bought it was because it was on sale :D

I may not put it into Flambé's tank though. I didn't realize it drops nettles. Sounds messy and high-maintenance :p

I uh...erm...I put it like that to...uh...you know...test you. You know...to see if you'd notice that I put it in completely wrong. Yeah...that's it *shifty eyes*

Okay, no, I didn't. Cranky toddler again yesterday and I just threw it in the tank without reading the instructions

I pulled it up last night after seeing your note. This morning the pump noise is driving me batty. If I can't make it shush, back to the store it goes.

EDIT: An expanded guide would be awesome! Pros and cons of tablet vs liquid fertilizers and a section on quarantine would be nice additions :)
Heehee, its ok. That filter's buzzing airrator drove me bonkers, urgh! If you wrap it in a wash cloth and then perhaps mount it onto something higher up (like take a book, stand it up and tape the airrator to it), the filter will perform better. The buzzing will go away with tweaking, though- give it time!!

Will and have done! :D
Really, tablet and liquid arent so much pros and cons.. Its more of, which one works best for the plants at hand. If youve got wisteria, anacharis and cabomba, then you're gonna want liquid, because thats how they eat.
But if you've got swords, crypts and hygros (well, Idk about them but whatever! lol!), they're gonna really benefit from the tabs.

If you've got both, then use both! :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #224 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I usually only use ADA aquasoil or plain gravel/sand enriched with tablet fertilisers. However, someone did this awesome experiment growing crypts in pots, to test several different brands of substrates and additives. I found it really interesting to see what worked best.

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ent-Commercial

ADA aquasoil made my hairgrass and crypts grow insanely fast, but I don't really like it from an aesthetics point of view, as well as the fact it leeches a LOT (like more than 4ppm) of ammonia.
ooh, thanks for the link, LBF!

Oh goodness, it does? I wouldnt have known that. That's a very large amount, to be sure. D:

And hey! Whats with the avatar change, huh? I didnt recognize you! I thought, oh- hey. That looks like LBF's Au LaitOHWAIT IT IS!

I see what you're trying to do, tryin' to confuse me! :P
Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #225 
LittleBettaFish

Haha he's in my avatar. Watching you post.

I was surprised to see how well the basic blood and bone tablets in sand worked out. ADA aquasoil is good, but sometimes I think it's overrated because of the brand. There are a lot of substrate combinations that work just as well.

I think the leeching also differs by the type of substrate. My Malaya leeched out lots of ammonia for nearly a month, while my Africana is only putting out half that much.

One substrate my crypts grow well in, is common propagating soil. You know you have too many fish tanks when your bedroom is so humid you can grow crypts emersed and not have them dry out.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #226 
PewPewPew

Oh goodness D: I dont think I'd like that, not one bit. Its too humid already!

Where do you get the blood and bone tabs? They sound so morbid, lol.

I just redid my tank and forgot I had a root tab in there, oh god, it kicked up so much whiteness, I needed to scrap the tank and remove all the water. :( If it wasnt so late, I wouldve let it settle. Booo forgetting.

The tank looks pretty good. I usually put less regard to aesthetics and more to what the fish like (no one but me cares about what the tanks look like D:), so lucky Baller gets his tank set up how he likes. A hill in the corner with my young swords and sag to rest in, long plants in the shallow side and moss, grass and young snippets of wisteria.

Lucky kid.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #227 
PewPewPew

dsfkajehsfhaskdjfakhsd
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

DONE ARGH
Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #228 
Bettawolf19

PEWPEWPEW That guide is amazing :)
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #229 
PewPewPew

Thank you! my second is better! <3 http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428
Old 07-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #230 
Bettawolf19

Lol i know it is silly I was talking about that one lol This ones amazing too :)
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
easy, faq, helpful posts, plants