Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #31 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
@Littlebitty Did it melt? I've heard that it will often melt when you first put it in and then it will shoot up with new plants. How much light do you have? Are you using fertilizer tabs?
Maybe that is what happened...I have tried this plant in the past and it only lasts a few weeks...I have a lot of different types of plants...red ludwigia...wisteria...camboma furcata...amazonsword plants..anubias..java moss..all ook...but as soon as I try to grow anacharis it dies!
It "melts" and its little leaves pollute the floor my my tank and turn my water a light green tint...every time! I took them out...again...I believe this will be my last attempt with anacharis..I have at least wasted 15 dollars on this plant so far...
I do like the way it looks in other peoples tanks though...Maybe it is my water or maybe it is temperature sensitive?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #32 
Sunshine0235

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Depends On what you want to plant :) gravel and sand work great. If you have bottom feeders, opt for sand our really fine gravel. Using sand limits some of what you can plant into it, though gavel usually when if its rather fine will not.

How thick should it be on average? Thanks for the info so far.
Sunshine0235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #33 
vaygirl

@Littlebitty I'd just stick with what you have. I had one melt once too. OMG, what a mess. :P I didn't have the patience for it.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #34 
Tisia

I ended up moving my snail to my new boy's tank for a little to eat some of the bits of anacharis I was having trouble getting out. I have decided Robin will definitely not be getting any tank mates after that, little bugger has a scrape on his head from trying to eat the snail's little tentacle dealies
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #35 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitt View Post
I am very glad that you wrote this thread! I have no experience with aquatic plants so this will be very helpful to me when I finally get some:)
Im very glad :3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine0235 View Post
How thick should it be on average? Thanks for the info so far.
Depends on what you want, really! I know that vague, but some people like less, others more. I only have about an inch or so. Some really good looking plants, like amazon sword, (and all swords, really..) need a large amount of space in depth and length to root, so perhaps opt for about three inches worth of whatever youre going to try to do. It would look really nice with that much.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #36 
Suzbettafish

Question fertilizer question

PewPewPew-since I am currently cycling my tank, is it still okay to add the fertilizer? I have the Seachem Flourish. I don't want to ruin my cycle as I feel I am at midway and definitly don't want to start over
I am having that same problem with the anacharis melting and making a mess in the bottom of my tank. Just wondering if it is a lack of nutrients??
Thanks again for the wealth of info in this thread!
Suzbettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #37 
PewPewPew

Ive never had mine melt before! Are you sure its MELTING and not DYING/ROTTING? Because when it grows old and dies, it looks pale and rotten and stringy. Remove these parts, if you want/can. Thats what I do, because itll just rot further.

I dont think the fertilizer will hurt, Im not 100% sure on that, but I still use it! I'd say that since you can after its done, you can while its in the process.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #38 
Suzbettafish

Makes sense to me! Thank you!
Suzbettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #39 
PewPewPew

:3 <3
Old 04-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #40 
TonyK

What kind of Flouresent lights are you using in your planted tanks? I don't want to pick up the wrong light.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
easy, faq, helpful posts, plants