Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #1 
Jonni

Hello

Hello :) Sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong area.
Well to start my name is Jonni(i'm a girl) and i'm 15. I really love animals. I had a Betta before, a female, named Shishy (my moms idea haha). She lived for 2.5 years, which made me happy and surprised- because that was my first pet fish and I usually hear they don't live that long. Anyway, i'm getting a new Betta, i'm thinking a male this time. I got a new tank set up yesterday and I bought betta food. I'm going to pick up a net, water conditioner, and the fish today.

The tank I got was a Tetra Water Wonders 1.5 gallon tank that came with a filter and two plants. I added a little dome type thing for the fish to swim in, sort of like a cave, and marbles (only for now I think, I might buy some gravel. I'm not sure..)

My question is, if I let the chlorine evaporate out in the tap water, will that be fine? According to my step-mother, there's only chlorine and fluoride in the water. I don't know how true that is, but if I need water conditioner, i'll buy it with my money.

This might sound odd, but I love spending my money on animals :) not so much anything else lol.

Sorry for the longness, nice to meet you all :)
Jonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonni View Post
Hello :) Sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong area.
Well to start my name is Jonni(i'm a girl) and i'm 15. I really love animals. I had a Betta before, a female, named Shishy (my moms idea haha). She lived for 2.5 years, which made me happy and surprised- because that was my first pet fish and I usually hear they don't live that long. Anyway, i'm getting a new Betta, i'm thinking a male this time. I got a new tank set up yesterday and I bought betta food. I'm going to pick up a net, water conditioner, and the fish today.

The tank I got was a Tetra Water Wonders 1.5 gallon tank that came with a filter and two plants. I added a little dome type thing for the fish to swim in, sort of like a cave, and marbles (only for now I think, I might buy some gravel. I'm not sure..)

My question is, if I let the chlorine evaporate out in the tap water, will that be fine? According to my step-mother, there's only chlorine and fluoride in the water. I don't know how true that is, but if I need water conditioner, i'll buy it with my money.

This might sound odd, but I love spending my money on animals :) not so much anything else lol.

Sorry for the longness, nice to meet you all :)

I have seen a few people on here with the 1.5 tetra tanks. I think that should be nice for a betta.
you should still use a water conditioner. it gets rid of/neutralizes metals and other nasty stuff in the water that can't evaporate out. A good one I like is Prime. You might also want to get a mini heater if you don't already have one.Bettas love warm water.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #3 
scootshoot

Awesome news and welcome! Can't wait to see your new betta pic!
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #4 
chargers505

Yes! Prime is the way to go. Make sure your decor doesn't have any rough/pointy edges. I would love to see pics of your new fish.
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #5 
gmd1800

I have the Tetra tanks for both my fish - it's awesome! I love how nice it looks and how compact they are. They don't take up much space either. :) Good luck!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

You need a heater, too! Get a conditioner that doses in half gallons to make it easy for you to dose it.

Heaters at or under 10w work well in that tank. I had one :)

The plants that often come with that tank, though shred fins, be careful. You can get 2 of 4 types and two of them are awful. Test them by dragging a pair of panty hose over them and see if they snag hard or rip. If they do, do not use them!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #7 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonni View Post

You're not the only one, i pretty much spend all of my spare money on my pets.

Can't wait to see pics of the new fish.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote