Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Argh! Dang filter. Help?

So Dumbo now has the cursed whisper3i filter in his 3 gallon tank. I only put it in the day before yesterday, but up until now he was fine. Well, he tore his fins a bit. The ends are frayed on his caudal. This is nooooot good, considering he has fin rot. So I tried to baffle the filter myself using a bit of sponge. The sponge should be clean, no added chemicals. I put it in the air tubing part, and it is pretty noisy. It sounds bubbly, like boiling water. It kind of slowed down the water flow though, so hopefully the suction too? But I'm just nervous. Please help? Advice? Thanks. :)
Attached Images

Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #2 
tokala

Well, you could baffle the heck out of it by blocking the out take with a sponge too or trying the water bottle method. but if you are ok with water changes, you could probably remove it all together. 3 gal is a lot compared to what he is used to, but still not all that much to change :) it might be worth the peace of mind!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

Should I add more sponge then? Or will it make the bubbly noise worse...? Or try to slow down the airline tubing? I am not familiar with the water bottle method. :) WOW, I sound like a newb.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #4 
tokala

The water bottle method might not work with that type of filter, but i think it's a sticky in the habitat section :) you could try to add more sponge, but it might make the noise worse. It's hard to say without seeing it :( It looks like the same filter I used to have, and i think it is kinda krapohla....might not be able to handle all the changes. Sorry I don't know more but maybe someone else will speak up!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #5 
Tisia

maybe try one of these dealys?
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

It's okay! I tried adding more sponge, so the whole bottom part is now yellow with sponge, but now it just sounds like big bubbles. But the filter flow is much slower. I will have to see how hard it is to sleep with? :) UGH, yes, crapola filter. But it's all I have. I'll probably end up taking it out, which is a bummer. Thanks Tokala!
EDIT: that's exactly what I need, I'm not entirely sure how safe this sponge is. ;/
Old 04-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #7 
Tisia

they have them at petco as well, for like 50 cents more I think
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

I neeeeed that! :) Well, the homemade filter baffle is working well so far, just loud! ;/ But I'd rather have a loud filter than no filter, to be honest. Filters are so nice! :D We'll see how well this works? :) Thanks for your help! :)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #9 
JackisLost

Maybe the bubbly noise is coming from where the bubbles break at the surface of the top of the water. Try to put a floating piece of sponge to block all that surface that the bubbles are aggressively reaching the surface, so the bubbles will reach the foam piece and dissipate more quietly
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

I don't have any sponge that would work for that. :( But it is from bubbles. I think the baffle is so big, the bubbles break free from the filter and just float up and pop! ;/ Do baffled filters still work? Like, super baffled?