Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Arrow Shedding Slime Coat?

My Betta Pepper seems to be shedding his slime coat. I was just wondering what would cause this because it's been happening for a week or two now, usually right after I change his water which is about every other day. Just thought I would ask about it now because this white-ish slime stuff seems to be coming off more now. I'm positive its not cotton-mouth or anything because it comes off in the water and it usually gone within a day or two. Just seems more excessive this time.

But anyways, just wondering what could cause this. I do use conditioned water, pre-mixing it in a gallon jug. He's in a 2.5 Critter Keeper and the heater keeps the water between 76*F and 78*F.

This didn't seem like an emergency so I posted here. He still eats well and is very active.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

What brand of water conditioner do you use?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #3 
c4talys7

I use Tetra AquaSafe and have used it ever since I have bought him.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was wondering because Stresscoat made my water icky and white stuff was hanging off of my betta. That was when I got my first betta, then I switched to Aquasafe and I didn't have that problem.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #5 
c4talys7

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the warmer water. It's gotten pretty warm here the past few weeks so the water temp is around 78-80*F instead of the usually 76*F. Or he could just have some weird condition. Either way I'm glad it's not bothering him at all.