Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question Brown... thing!

Today I did a small "diatom" cleanout. I scrubbed the sides, tried to get it off the plants (didn't work) etc. Well, I looked and my java fern (first plant I ever had!) looked absolutely gorgeous. It was a soft light green and a few of the leaves were pure green while some were evenly speckled in brown. There was no diatoms on it, and it looked so amazing that I just had to stare at it, I mean, I've NEVER seen such a beautiful plat in real life before!

Than I looked and noticed it was in the shadow of a few bigger "diatom" covered plants. This mean the "diatoms" wouldn't grow in low light... the underside of all of my plants leaves are a beautiful green, too... I read that diatoms thrive in low light. So, this makes it brown algae. At least I think...

I checked a little bag of phosguard I have in my filter to get rid of the diatoms (my tap water...) and it was covered in brown stuff (only been in close to a week) So, do you think it's brown algae? And how do I get rid of it?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #2 
alixhero

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Today I did a small "diatom" cleanout. I scrubbed the sides, tried to get it off the plants (didn't work) etc. Well, I looked and my java fern (first plant I ever had!) looked absolutely gorgeous. It was a soft light green and a few of the leaves were pure green while some were evenly speckled in brown. There was no diatoms on it, and it looked so amazing that I just had to stare at it, I mean, I've NEVER seen such a beautiful plat in real life before!

Than I looked and noticed it was in the shadow of a few bigger "diatom" covered plants. This mean the "diatoms" wouldn't grow in low light... the underside of all of my plants leaves are a beautiful green, too... I read that diatoms thrive in low light. So, this makes it brown algae. At least I think...

I checked a little bag of phosguard I have in my filter to get rid of the diatoms (my tap water...) and it was covered in brown stuff (only been in close to a week) So, do you think it's brown algae? And how do I get rid of it?
Well I've searched the whole google website , and my first plant is Java Ferns too
The webs says that some plants lure a few bacteria that is actually GOOD to your fish due to the bacteria eats their waste and maintain the pH level , and Bettas sometimes scratch their body's bacteria to the leafs too
And pH level is sure is one of the tricky thing to be ensure stable of , but if u get it right , your fish's colors will be as bright as a rainbow is in real life
But it is also advices to maintain the bacteria amount as it will eat yourfishes flesh since there is not enough waste for them to eat
Have a nice day !!
owh , and for Jave Ferns details care , it need a temperature of 70F(+-5) for the best result , but is ok for a little higher , pH would be same as our Betta's at 7(+-0.5)

But maintaining a pH level at lowest or highest as constant as possible is better then unstable required level

Last edited by alixhero; 04-11-2011 at 02:37 AM.
alixhero is offline   Reply With Quote