Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #1 
Blaze54

Talking I'm gonna try it!!!!

I've heard a lot of stories about putting ghost shrimp in with bettas. But the majority of them are good,and it doesn't go well it's not like i spent 50$ on an expensive fish or anything. But the past few times I've tried to get some Petco was out of stock. But it's been almost a week since last I tried so hopefully today they'll have some. How does your betta do with ghost shrimp? Do they help your tank? Write about it! Thx, wish me luck
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #2 
Blaze54

Oh and what should I feed it/them? Now blaze does lose his food but I'm afraid this wouldn't sustain it/them. Please give suggestions. I was thinking of soaking goldfish pellets so they'll automatically sink to the bottom (Blaze doesn't eat 'em) as people have said they will eat virtually any kind of pellets. I've also heard that they will eat bacteria that we cannot see! Is this stuff ok or true?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #3 
Burd

I've had amazing success with my betta and his tank mates. He's got 6 zebra danios and 3 ghost shrimp with him and they've gotten along great!

I 'feed' my ghost shrimp bottom feeder pellets but more often than not I find the zebras nibbling on them. The shrimp seem to pick up whatever they find around the bottom of the tank or the live plants I have in the tank.

As long as you provide everyone ample places to hide, you should have no problem keeping them together. Good luck. :)
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

My first try with ghost shrimp went terribly wrong... One decided to take a ride on my betta and rip his fins...After that they died off slowly in my tank..Besides for one..and he thinks he is a corydora.. He loves to follow them around and he usually eats what they eat...algae pellets and sinking wafers. I plan on getting a few more.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #5 
swhitt

I am sorry what one shrimp did to your betta:( When I had 3 ghost shrimp in the tank with Fishy, he ate 2 of them within 24 hours and just recently finished off the third one>.< I made sure that I had plenty of places for the last one to hide, but I guess I didn't do good enough:( I got to watch Fishy devour the last little shrimp>.< I decided that I was not going to get more shrimp because I figured that he already got the taste for them and it would be like a snack to him, lol. I just recently picked up a golden mystery snail to replace the shrimp. I would love to see Fishy try to devour Mr. Snail (not literally).
swhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #6 
Blaze54

Success!!!!!! Petco didn't have them but a local tropical fish store did!!! And guess what......I AM GONNA BE A ''DADDY'':) The female has got babies,well eggs.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #7 
trono

Keep an eye on them. I caught one nibbling on my betta's tail fin while he was sleeping.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #8 
Blaze54

Haha I ahve only had these guys a little while and I love them!!!!! They are awesome!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #9 
swhitt

Super Mommy Shrimp:)

Yeah, I liked the shrimp while they lasted. I had found one type of shrimp that had a little bit of red in them (not Cherry Shrimp) that I was considering on buying, but the closest place to buy them is over an hour away:'(

My sister-in-law had a female ghost shrimp that was pregnant. Sadly though, that little shrimp did not make it and she tried to save the little baby shrimp out of the mother's stomach by cutting the shrimp open... that did not end well>.>

But I wish you best of luck with the mommy shrimp!!! I bet it will be super cool to have little shrimp roaming around:) When ever the little ones come out, I would love to see picture of the babies, that is you are even able to capture them on camera due to the transparent-ness and tiny factor.
swhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #10 
JackisLost

The ghost shrimp will need brackish waters in their larvae stage. I'm pretty sure they are "lower life" form kind of shrimp, meaning they give birth to larvae. Try snowball shrimp or cherry shrimp, they give birth to minature adults and breed like rabits in freshwater only environments
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote