Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #1 
csbane

Flaring and health

I am curious if anyone else had noticed dramatic health improvements after flaring with another betta, or if my experience was just a coincidence.

My betta since I got him (about a week now) and he was gray/brown/sick when I got him. Quickly he perked up, but he wouldn't eat and was looking very transparent (for his deep black/blue coloring transparent didn't seem right) so I was treating him with frequent water changes, very little salt, and a small dose of mardel maracyn-two. However, he was only getting worse.

Today my roommate set her betta next to mine while she did a 100% water change. (my betta is extreamly aggressive and she enjoyed seeing him flare)

After that, he's solid (non-transparent), eating, and behaving normally.

I admit I had not observed him earlier that day, but I'm curious if it was the flaring or just coincidental timing.
csbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Probably just a coincidence, but Im glad hes feeling better. Keep up the changes to keep his health up, but discontinue the meds, as you dont want any grem neg bacterial resistance while treating nothing! LOL!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #3 
csbane

He did have some terrible fin rot when I got him :) It was what the petstore recommended for the fin rot. Of course now that I see regrowth I'm perfectly willing to stop.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

I have two bettas that are side by side with a piece of cardboard in between them. One has perfect fins & the other, not so much. For the past couple of weeks I have been removing the cardboard for 5 minutes a day so they can see each other & flare. The one with the less than perfect fins is actually starting to look better - MUCH better!!! :)

So, IME, it seems to be helping!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #5 
csbane

Well something has changed :) he's now flaring a lot more in general and built a bubble nest. The competition seemed to have sparked something. :P
Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Maybe he was just bored/depressed and that is why he was looking sickly.
Maybe there is something to it though?
I know when my fish Batman's fin fell off/got bitten off someone here recommended that I hold a mirror up to tank for a few minutes a day after I noticed 1/2 inch regrowth. a little fin exercising I suppose...

..and a one..and a two...flare those fins!...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

They say exercise is good for human depression too!I guess it works for fish as well.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #8 
tokala

I wouldn't be surprised if the stimulation is healthy! Especially if they are bored or in a downer mood. We are the same way. Exercise or adrenaline dumps release endorphins which can be healing. So long that it doesn't get to the point where it is stressing him out too much. It may cause his territorial instincts to kick in too which would change behavior.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote