Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #1 
JD3P

Not sure about pH

I started cycling my 6 gallon on March 2nd. It looks as though it has finally cycled... the nitrites and ammonia are both at 0 ppm. The nitrates seem to be at 40-80 ppm but I figure that will go down once I do a cleaning before putting my fish in. The only thing that I am worried about is the pH which is at 8.2 ppm. Isn't this kind of high for a betta? Should I just do the initial cleaning now that it's cycled and re-check? I just want to be sure it won't spike...I'd rather not have any problems with this tank. Thanks.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

8.2 is high, but bettas are hardy fish and will adapt pretty well to different pH levels. Mine is usually around 8.0-8.2 also, and I've never had a problem with my fish.

I don't think cycling and/or water changes really have an effect on pH, so you should be ok.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #3 
baylee767

Nah, my PH is about that, too! So far Neon seems to have no problems with it, they can tolerate levels quite high... DOn't ruin your cycle, you managed to get it to work! As far as I'm concerned, that's an achievment.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #4 
CrowntailxKing

Yeah, pH isn't something that changes (like ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels), so you won't hit a "pH spike" unless you dump lemon juice or something else acidic, or something basic. Mine is around 8 and my Betta fish are thriving.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #5 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
8.2 is high, but bettas are hardy fish and will adapt pretty well to different pH levels. Mine is usually around 8.0-8.2 also, and I've never had a problem with my fish.

I don't think cycling and/or water changes really have an effect on pH, so you should be ok.
Okay thanks a lot. I'm going to do the water change now and see if it alters it.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #6 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Nah, my PH is about that, too! So far Neon seems to have no problems with it, they can tolerate levels quite high... DOn't ruin your cycle, you managed to get it to work! As far as I'm concerned, that's an achievment.
Thanks for the info I knew they could tolerate higher pH's but the test kit says around 7.0 and there's always information that varies about this topic. But on a side note I did the water change because from everything I've read once the nitrite and ammonia levels reach 0 ppm for a steady amount of time it's officially cycled. Although after the change the ammonia went back to 0.25 so I'm going to wait until tomorrow before putting her in. And the betta I'm putting in this tank is also named Neon! Lol
Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #7 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I check PH straight from the tap (remember or log PH reading), check PH again after 24 hours (remember or log PH reading), and then check it again after 48 hours (remember or log PH reading). If the 3 readings record different PH results then I know how long the water change water needs to sit in containers before the next water change. By using this method it also lets you know if your PH is being altered over a few days in your actual tank. I have found in the area where I live the PH changes over a period of 24-48 hours (not by very much) but it does change. Also, PH conditions can change (if you are using a city-type water supply) during the Summer months when some cities use extra chemicals for their water treatment.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #8 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Additional information: When I stated the PH in the area where I live changes, it changed downward (no spike as in higher) but it did not change by much. Just don't add any type of Marine rock, coral, substrate to your tank; As, that will cause your PH to increase.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #9 
Harley

I was concerned about the Ph of my new tank too as it was 7.6-7.8. I talked to someone at Petsmart and they recommended not adjusting it. Apparently the water my city provides is normally in that range. She advised that adjusting it constantly after water changes and normal use would be more stress for the fish. They said he likely grew up using that water so don't try to mess with it, he'll be fine. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #10 
luvmybetta

I would never use a product like PH Up or PH Down. Basically, if you don't know what you are doing your fish potentially is in alkaline or acid conditions. If certain fish requirements (due to habitat requirements) need and thrive in exclusive PH ranges, I adjust PH naturally by adding driftwood to slowly lower PH or a certain amount of Marine salt to increase PH. Your Betta should not have a problem.