Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #11 
christina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
I have kept cories in groups of three easily in a five gallon in the past. :3 and i currently only have three otos, though technically they are only one in each section of my divided tank... so that doesnt count. And the neons i have kept have actually been fairly hardy, but that is from purely personal experience i suppose.
You're probably right. However, I can be such a fish killer that my only hope is to try to do it right. My roommates all seem to be able to have bettas in unfiltered unheated 1/2 gallon tanks. (although one I've managed to get to give him a 2.5 gallon with filter and heater) ... but I kill my first betta in a 5.5 gallon heated and filtered aquairum. Newest betta seems to be doing alright. Even noticing fin regrowth that I didn't realize he had lost! (at least- that's what I assume the clearish white tips are, they look like what I've seen pictures of fin-regroth)
christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #12 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
I have kept cories in groups of three easily in a five gallon in the past. :3 and i currently only have three otos, though technically they are only one in each section of my divided tank... so that doesnt count. And the neons i have kept have actually been fairly hardy, but that is from purely personal experience i suppose.
I highly suggest that you do not listen to this (not to be a jerk, sorry) -but these fish should not be kept in such a small tank for many reasons:
There is not enough room to swim/scavenge
The bioload is too high even for a well-cycled tank
Even if they grow only to two inches, that's six inches of fish in a 5 gallon. Thats so cramped, its like living in one room, too small for you already, and then adding in a bunch of other people.

Otos need pals, they need at least one friend, best yet two. To keep them apart will cause them stress and discomfort.

Neons arent really hardy, so yeah- thats mostly personal... Theyre very sensitive to fluxuations in the tank and need a well established, cycled tank of at least 10 gallons with 4-5 friends, at least.

OP, if youre looking for shrimp at a good price, try bobstropicalplants.com- he sells em cheap and ships them cheap. However, in a small tank (yes, 2.5-5 gallons is considered small for anything but a single betta..) they may be eaten. Theyre also very sensitive and should live in a cycled tank to keep them alive and healthy.

Focus on keeping your fish alive and happy for now. You seem nervous about it, so maybe pushing your luck isnt a great idea. The more fish, the more that can happen, and none of us want to see your little friend get hurt!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #13 
iheartmybettas

Everything PewPewPew said x2!

You would definitely need a larger tank to add schooling fish. Plus compatability is a stressful thing at times. My betta tanks with just one are so much less stressful than my african or south american cichlid tanks.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #14 
Gizmothefreaky

Gee, im sorry if i am giving bad advice. Just telling you what MY experience has been. And btw, my otos arent stressed either, they are very healthy and fat, good eaters and quite active. So, meh, i suppose what i have personally experienced doesnt matter to you guys though, right?
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

Oh Here we go again.
Ill say this once. You gave out info others disagree with. Others disagree. Others have advice to try to help you, in case you didnt know.
Do you really think we care that much about what you think? I can assure you we do not, especially if youre going to complain. We are giving you our two cents, just as you gave yours. You or the op doesnt have to listen to either of us, so boo. This is the internet, welcome, what you say may be disagreed with, and if you post, prepare for someone to possibly do so.

So to answer that: no. but do as you will, and good luck.
<3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #16 
iheartmybettas

Wowee! Can't say I disagree.

Your experience is not typical for this type of fish or any schooling fish really and to try to tell someone to do the same is probably setting them up for failer. I mean there is no problem with you sharing your experience but there will likely be some disagreement.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #17 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
Wowee! Can't say I disagree.

Your experience is not typical for this type of fish or any schooling fish really and to try to tell someone to do the same is probably setting them up for failer. I mean there is no problem with you sharing your experience but there will likely be some disagreement.
I agree with you. There is no problem sharing your experience, but do not recommend it, especially to people new to fish keeping that don't always know right from wrong.

Yes, a fish may be alive and seemingly healthy, BUT that doesn't mean that they are in suitable environments. You don't know what is going on in their minds and how they feel, so it is best to stick to the recommended amount of stocking per tank AKA no tank mates in anything less than a ten gallon. Ottos especially, as they are extremely sensitive fish.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote