Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 AM   #1 
Luimeril

Question Anyone have Marimo balls?

so, i fell in love with Marimo balls. it all started on Furaffinity, when one of the people i was watching got a few and took photos of them. the cutest little balls of green you'd ever seen. i researched them a bit, and found conflicting info on them. some say they need good light, some say they don't need much light at all. i'm a tad confused, but gathered they were easy to care for, like my Java moss. but, i want your opinion on them. are they easy for someone like me, who's only ever had Java Moss, to care for? will they hurt my Java Moss, or are they fine with my Java Moss? anyone have any, and can give me info on what exactly they do? i've heard they float up, roll around, and are just beautiful and cute all at once. o.0
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #2 
briser

I recently got one. I'm not sure on the lighting, I have a 12 hour light on and 12 hour light off with my tank, and it seems to be doing fine. They are easy and will do fine with your java moss just don't let the java moss cover it so it can get light. All you have to do is shake them off in dirty tank water to get the debris off them and then rotate them when you put them back in so they stay green all the way around. They just sit at the bottom of your tank and yes they do float up and roll around sometimes haha.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #3 
Luimeril

they sound cuter now! >w< i can't wait for the site to accept it. :p then, i gotta wait a few weeks, but i'll have my super adorable Marimo! it's hard not to tear apart my filter's "pump tower"(since the instructions for the Tetra Whisper 3i say to keep the pump higher than the filter), and get my old fish bowl and set it up NOW. xD
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #4 
briser

I only qt'd mine for a couple hours. Only because where it came from it has been in the same tank of tetras for as long as I can remember and there's no snails or anything in the tank with them. I always saw it in the tank and then decided to ask if they would sell it and they said yes so that's how I ended up buying it! haha
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #5 
Luimeril

well, i bought these off ebay, and they're only a few mm wide. o3o i wanted TINY Marimo balls. they'll live in my old fish bowl until they're bigger. maybe i'll give my mom one for her 10 gallon, to keep the evil algae away.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #6 
briser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
well, i bought these off ebay, and they're only a few mm wide. o3o i wanted TINY Marimo balls. they'll live in my old fish bowl until they're bigger. maybe i'll give my mom one for her 10 gallon, to keep the evil algae away.
Mine's pretty big haha. I didn't really want a small one because they are soooo slow at growing.

Good luck with them! :)
Old 04-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 
Luimeril

i wanted some cute ones. ._____. *guilty* alot the people who got me into them bought the Japanese cell phone charms that have the teeny tiny Marimo balls in the glass bottles.