Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #31 
TheKingsFish

We don't know. We went out for a couple of hours and he was perfectly fine, then when I went to feed the fry a few hours later and he was gone. It looked like he just dropped. For all I know he may have choked on a baby snail.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #32 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, no! I'm so sorry about Oberon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 AM   #33 
TheKingsFish

So far we've only lost a few fry.

I do have one question: anybody know how to treat swim bladder issues in small fry?
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 AM   #34 
Oldfishlady

Swim bladder symptoms in fry are usually related to-poor water quality, poor nutrition/lack of HUFA in the diet, over feeding, eating BBS shells, too cool/dry air over the water that effect the labyrinth organ during development, too cool water temp and genetic related.....

I would start Epsom salt 1tsp/gal..add this to the fry tank to treat the whole tank, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to keep the air above the water warm and humid for labyrinth development....start making 50% daily water changes if you are not already doing this..be sure and add the Epsom salt back that you removed, water temp needs to be at least 80-81F......if you are feeding BBS-only feed newly hatched that are less than 30 hour old, limit or cut back on the amount and make sure you are rinsing them good under running water and try to limit the amount of shells...look at their tummies-they should be round and pink/orange in color....if after a week they continue to have swim bladder problems they need to be culled it could be genetic or damage that can't be repaired.......
If you have tannins from IAL or oak leaf add this too...

Good luck and keep us posted...and sorry about daddy......was he in the tank with them when he died......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #35 
StarvingPoet

We have been doing the regular water changes and the tank is nice and toasty warm with IAL in the water. We have been feeding an alternating diet of BBS and microworms (I think it is the mostly likely option that a few shells got into their food by mistake). What is this HUFA though, and where can we find it(keeping in mind that we do live in Canada where many of the products you use are not available and we have neither a Petsmart nor a Petco)?

Thank you for the help, we will try the salt. Hopefully it helps the few that seem to be having troubles. And, no, Oberon was not with them when he died -he was floating in a small QT container in their tank while we got his home ready for him to go back to.
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #36 
Oldfishlady

I use a product called Selcon....I get it from Dr Foster and Smith..but just about any fish shop that deals with saltwater fish/supplies may have it...its a common saltwater fish supplement...and BBS are saltwater critters....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #37 
mernincrazy8525

how are the fry?!?!? how many approximately?
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #38 
StarvingPoet

We've lost a couple fairly little ones, but the others all seem to be doing well and swimming more like healthy fishies. Hopefully after the slightly salty week everyone will be back to normal.

I would guess (they like to hide a lot and we have much hornwort and java moss) that we have about 40ish fry still in the tank.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #39 
dramaqueen
Banned

They're probably feeding off of the micro organisms produced by the live plants.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #40 
StarvingPoet

This [ http://www.oceannutrition.eu/product...reef-fish-food ] was the only thing we could find at our pet store that contained HUFA. We asked the employees and they had no idea what we were looking for (they had to look it up on the internet). Do you think this will work for now? The ingredients look pretty tasty (if I were a fish, that is).

Looking it up online now I see that it is made by the same company that makes the Atison's Betta products, so I'm going to see if the pet store can order some in. Though this was the only product I saw that they had in stock by the manufacturer and it was on clearance... so we'll see how this idea pans out.