Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #1 
Gizmothefreaky

Help! Dropsy!

My friend's betta has dropsy (we believe) does anyone know of anything that can help?

I dont know her tank specs other than that its a five gallon and there are 50% water changes every other day or so...

Please anyone?
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

I see all of you looking at this and not a single answer yet? Come on...
Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #3 
iheartmybettas

I really hate to tell you this but (as far as I know) there isn't much you can do. I have never been able to reverse the affects of dropsy. All I can really say is to make sure the he is comfortable. If it gets really bad you may want to euthanize which is a hard thing to do. I personally haven't ever done it so someone else would have to give you instruction on that.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

Well he isnt even my fish... And my friend lives in another state (Texas)... So i dont know what to do...

EDIT: Also, is Dropsy contagious to other fish? My friend has Otos in her tank...

Last edited by Gizmothefreaky; 04-11-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I've never had any Dropsy problems with my fish, but my granpa's, yes... A total of three (I believe) fish, one was a Black Orchid Betta. D: Very sad to see him go.

Best thing to do really is make the betta comfortable.... As much as me and grampa have tried to get the disease out and away, nothing seems to have worked.

Your friend could try a product called Betta Revive, which is a mix of Methalyne blue and Malchite Green. It says you should put only one drop per pint of water, but when we double-dosed BlackOrchid, he seemed to get a little better. It might've worked, but we double-dosed him too late anyway.

Your friend shouldn't get their hopes up about this treatment, though. Dropsy is almost impossible to cure.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #6 
iheartmybettas

There is nothing you can do except tell them there is nothing they can do. If the betta has dropsy and is pineconed there are no medicines to help reverse the affects.

I would definitely quarantine the fish away from the otos since they are so sensitive. I have read it is contangious and some strains are not so it would be better to separate. S/he can put the betta in the cup they came in and float the cup in the original tank so that the temp doesn't fluctuate assuming it is a heated tank.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #7 
vaygirl

It is not contagious itself but the underlying cause may be. It is not usually something curable. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_dropsy
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Yeah- sadly dropsy is usually incurable. Dropsy itself isnt a disease, rather a symptom of multiple other diseases.. Usually, whatever the fish had to make it till when you realize it has dropsy is past the point of being curable.

Just tell them to make it comfortable, because thats really all you can do effectively. Like others said, dropsy (the symptom) is not contagious, but theres a high chance that whatever caused the symptoms is. Also, otos are very sensitive to certain meds, and should be removed regardless from the tank if any treatment is being administered.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #9 
Gizmothefreaky

man.... Does anyone know a humane way to euthanize then?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #10 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I remember a thread about how to humanely euthanize a fish... I'll see if I can find it for you.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote