Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #1 
DoNotDeclaw

No luck with equipment

So I bought Elvis the 10 gallon tank and hood. The heater kept going up to 86, brought it back, got another. Thermometer kept saying 83, but I found a new thermometer I liked better, and it says 78. The heater is set at 80. Average between thermometers. Good enough I guess. So anyway, the fluorescent light in the hood was not that bright and purpley, so I went and got a light that is better for plants and brighter. It only lit half way, then burnt out the light fixture. So I now have my old 29 gallon fixture on the 10 gallon hood. It's the same width as the 10 gallon one but an overhang of a few inches on each side. Stupid equipment.
DoNotDeclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #2 
DoNotDeclaw

It won't let me edit my post, but I just remembered, there was also the penguin biowheel filter that was bad. It wouldn't suck up water, and sounded like a lawn mower.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #3 
TonyK

Sounds like your not having any luck. I just set up a tank and the heater wouldn't work for me. I had to return the Marineland and picked up a Fluval. Good Luck to you I'm sure you will get it working soon enough.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #4 
JackisLost

I recommend zoo med 501 canister filter. Get a ball valve or kink the out hose and it's dead silent with plenty of filtration . My water is crystal clear
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Those kinds of filters need to have a very high water level, be filled with water before turned on, and need a few days to not sound like a choking cat.LOLOL
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #6 
JackisLost

It doesn't need a high water level, intake is similar to that of a HOB filter. Out of experience with this one, only took 30 minutes to be silent
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #7 
DoNotDeclaw

It wasn't that the filter needed to work it out. It wouldn't even suck up water by itself. It was totally defective. I ended up getting an Aqua Clear filter. It's quiet, has a biological filter, and I adjusted the flow to really low, so it doesn't bother him. It sucks about the light because I have to drive there AGAIN, return something AGAIN. I'm going to contact the manufacturer about the burnt out fixture, and see if they'll do anything about that. I still want to get a cO2 system too, and I'm dreading how much trouble that will be. I just have to keep telling myself it will be worth it when it's done.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

No, the penguin one.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote