Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #1 
BettaBob

Boring Betta??

Hey everyone its been a while but im here with a question. I recently got a new betta in a 5 gallon with heater and filter, lots of plants and caves. I have a similar setup for two others that have been going for a year or so.

The new guy i got about a week ago is very strange compared to the others. He just floats in one spot or hides in a cave. does not eat when im around, and seems to not notice or be afraid of me.

The other two did this for a very short time... like two days and since they zoom all over the place and come say hi to me and beg for food. Its just odd and not nearly as fun having this guy doing this, have any of you experienced this before?
BettaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #2 
CyerRyn

When I first got my Betta he just sat at the bottom of the bowl. I was so afraid that he was dead I'd purposely tap the bowl or move it a little to get him to move. Once he got used to being in there (took him about a week or so) he has his moments where when you walk into the room he'll do a little dance especially if he knows its feeding time. Maybe he just needs more time getting used to his home and used to you. I'm far from being a fish expert, especially considering that the one Betta I'm talking about is the first fish I ever bought in my life.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #3 
BettaBob

yeah generally when i have had mine in 5 gallon heated tanks that are fully established and cycled they are very energetic and fun very quickly. who knows maybe the bettas just a little slow
Old 04-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

They sometimes take a while to come around. Keep an eye on him ,though, as sometimes they can be harboring something that is making them not feel well.

But it sounds like a nice tank, so he'll likely come along soon.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #5 
roadrunner

I named one of my boys Skitty because he was very scared and jumpy for a long period of time. Now he is so excited to see me when I'm near. Each betta has a personality, so each will react differently to things. Give him more time and he may be more "outgoing" or he's naturally shy like some people are....
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #6 
baylee767

Neon took over a month to show his personality. Sometimes it's worth waiting (=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #7 
BettaBob

thanks for the encouragement! its just a shame seeing all that awesome tank not being used! i hope he comes around because he sure is beautiful. I will snap a picture if he comes out
Old 04-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #8 
ollief9

That's never happened to me. The minute I put Percy in his tank, he was investigating and checking his new home out. He started eating on the first day.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote