Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #1 
Ariel1719

Missing.

AGAIN!!! Jesus no matter what I do with this 10gal and no matter how many different ways I baffle filters/heaters my stupid betta's keep on disappearing! Im thinking of just shutting down this whole 10gal. Sargent was FINE yesterday, swimming around like crazy little man that he is. This morning when I went to feed the fishies I didn't see him come up like he ALWAYS does... Then i searched the tank, took everything out. I was like NOT AGAIN!?! So i took apart the WHOLE filter.. and he wasn't there either? Now im just stumped. I checked were Skrillex had gotten caught and he wasn't there, I checked the inside of the filter, not there either. There is only one hole he could have jumped out of IF he jumped REALLY high... Checked on the floor around there and nothing. I am beyond mad. Since I had to unfortunately put Bacardi out of his dying misery and euthanize him, 4 out of the 5 fish I have bought have died. Its like hes mad at me and killing all my fish :(

Where else can I look for him?!
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #2 
tokala

This post makes me so sad :( Have you found him yet? Maybe check in your hood and see if he tried to jump out and got caught somewhere around his light? I am so very sorry! Please keep us posted.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #3 
gmd1800

Have you checked the air tubing for the filter (if you have one)? One member here found her betta caught in the tubing.

As Tokala said - the hood. Bettas can flop pretty far if they jump out, and can be kind of hard to see when they're not under water.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #4 
roadrunner

I'm sorry to hear that. Bettas are pretty strong and can jump high. Usually when the water isn't good enough for them. They jump from paddle to paddle looking for a "better" home. Or something scared him. I had one of my females jump out from the the quarantine tank floating in 20G. She lifted up the hood cover and it's still a mystery to me how. I would look on the floor too. Check everywhere, under furniture, corners, etc....If he jumped out he was probably flopping around trying to get back in the water so he could get pretty far. If you have a four legged pet that has access to your room, he could have ended as a "snack" poor thing.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Check the light in the hood? The plastic protecting part? :c
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

The same thing happened to me. It was the smallest hole in the hood maybe 1x2". and the waterline was low He would have had to of jumoed 3" up....Somehow my lil guy still managed to jump up and out at night. I am sorry.. I hope you can find him.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 
Ariel1719

I checked absolutely EVERYWHERE. I do have a cat... who could very well be the culprit. I know fish jump if the water isn't right but it had done a water change on sunday and everything was perfect, and today he is gone! Its so messed up. It would honestly be better if I had just found him dead instead of this mystery disappearing.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #8 
fishman12

Whoa...That is soo sad...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

I blame the cat >:C
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #10 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I blame the cat >:C
I concur, motion passes.

Fishing-proof your tank. Usually something like a mosquito net is great but making sure all holes are plugged will keep fish in AND cat out.

I would assume that if fish HAD jumped out your cat would invoke the "my second rule" and had treat with him.

Cheap clear plastic lids that precisely fit around heater wire, filter and air hosing can be made by just about anybody. Most large hardware stores sell stock sheets of acrylic "plexiglass" and these can be hand sawn slowly with hack saw blades or jewelers saws. The hack saw blade is usually the better option. You can cut it to fit larger than the top of your tank or to fit inside the top and it will still cost less to make than a hood costs to buy. You cut V's for hoses and wires and you can nibble away curves in thin sheets using toenail cutters. Your dad/mom might know how to handle it as well.
A couple wooden slats from back to front to hold the light up.

I lost three fish to a cat and another fish to attacking the cat. My only true-green female VT was knocking other girls away from the cat paw and got badly infected. The cat was dealt with decisively by a high voltage supply designed for such purposes. Empty water bottles with bells inside also work as discouragements because kitty can't stand them back up.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote