Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #1 
Neil D

Filter questions?

Sup. My new betta (returned the old one) got stuck on the filter intake. Right now we have a small glass bottle around it, but what kind of filter is good for bettas? I have a whisper 5-15 (tetra) HOB.Or if not, what is a good solution? The bottle doesn't look too great. (and my betta keeps trying to swim between the glass and the bottle!). Help please! Thx
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #2 
roadrunner

how big is your tank? Do you run your filter at lowest setting? You can either buy a new smaller filter (you can check for second hand filter on the forum in your area) or maybe try to tie sponge around intake and see how that goes.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #3 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Sup. My new betta (returned the old one) got stuck on the filter intake. Right now we have a small glass bottle around it, but what kind of filter is good for bettas? I have a whisper 5-15 (tetra) HOB.Or if not, what is a good solution? The bottle doesn't look too great. (and my betta keeps trying to swim between the glass and the bottle!). Help please! Thx
Just wondering, what size is the tank?

And why did you return the "old" betta?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #4 
Neil D

Ten gal. I returned him because he wasn't active and I didn't like the way his tail was curling. The water is fine, everything is within parameters. I believe the new guy is either a Sdet or dt. He is active, and so r the cardinals. I didnt feel up to nursing the old betta back to health. This guy is happy though. World the tetra 10i filter work(submersible)? Will it have the same issue? Oh yeah, and the filter can't be turned down. Thx.

Last edited by Neil D; 04-12-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Ten gal. I returned him because he wasn't active and I didn't like the way his tail was curling. The water is fine, everything is within parameters. I believe the new guy is either a Sdet or dt. He is active, and so r the cardinals. I didnt feel up to nursing the old betta back to health. This guy is happy though. World the tetra 10i filter work(submersible)? Will it have the same issue? Oh yeah, and the filter can't be turned down. Thx.
Not trying to be rude at all, but when you bought that betta he became your responsibility, sick or not. It is not okay to return an animal just because he isn't as active as you would like him to be or has curled fins. What happens if this betta gets sick, will you feel like nursing him back to health? Just a thought.

Tetra products are generally not good quality.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

It is possible that his fins were curled because of the filter intake causing a little bit of damage.Could maybe have been fixed with a little aquarium salt.

You can use aquarium sponge or hose to wrap around the intake to keep his fins from going into the intake and getting damaged.My one old guy loves to go up against the filter intake..He used to scare me ! But he can get away from it pretty easily.
I agree with turtle10 I am not a big fin of most tetra products though....
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #7 
roadrunner

I disagree with the statement that if the betta is sick it should be buyers responsibility. I think it's not fair to sell sick fish especially to people that have absolutely no experience at the first place. Plus some kids have only certain budged and if parents see that first fish die in short period of time, they won't let them get another one.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #8 
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Not trying to be rude at all, but when you bought that betta he became your responsibility, sick or not. It is not okay to return an animal just because he isn't as active as you would like him to be or has curled fins. What happens if this betta gets sick, will you feel like nursing him back to health? Just a thought.

Tetra products are generally not good quality.
Yeah u r right. This is my first betta and first tropical tank. I truly felt and feel really bad about giving him back. I also know that taking care of a sick betta is a lot of work, and I don't not feel like it, it's just that I don't trust my abilities to take care of him. I know I must seem like a shallow git and I'm sorry about that. I'm sorry. :...( I hope I haven't offended anyone.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #9 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
I disagree with the statement that if the betta is sick it should be buyers responsibility. I think it's not fair to sell sick fish especially to people that have absolutely no experience at the first place. Plus some kids have only certain budged and if parents see that first fish die in short period of time, they won't let them get another one.
ANY time you buy a fish there is a chance that is sick or will get sick, even if it looks healthy. That is a chance the buyer takes. What isn't fair is returning a fish because someone doesn't want to take the time to heal it. If you adopted a child and it got sick right after would you return it because it was the orphanage's responsibility to make sure it was healthy? No. Definitely a bit extreme, but the point is the same. Making the decision to take in a new life means being prepared to handle the responsibilities that come with it, and accepting the outcome, even if it isn't sunshine and rainbows. Pets get sick, but that isn't a reason to return them, especially if it is just going to be traded in for a newer fish.

Neil D, although what you did wasn't good, you realize your error. Everyone makes mistakes when starting out with fish, or any pet for that matter, even experts. Luckily now you know and won't make that mistake again. So, the priority right now is keeping your current fish healthy and happy. Your fish is healthy now, but disease can strike at any moment. You need to be prepared to handle treating a sick fish, and if you don't trust your abilities to do that, you need to figure out a way to get over it. All living creatures can get sick, and most won't just get better on their own. So you will have to treat sickness at one time or another when keeping fish.

To get back on point, you are looking for a safe, submersible filter, correct? If you can tell me your tank size I can help you out.

Edit: Just saw it said ten gallons. I have a great submersible filter in my ten gallon that does not pull on the bettas tails at all. It cost about 25 dollars though.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #10 
Neil D

What kind of filter do u have? And thank you for your help mr turtle10. I am now ready to treat diseases. I just did not want to start out with a rescue. I bought some Quick Cure for ich and other protozoan parasites. O and let's try not to start an ethical debate on this thread. :) Is that a snail in ur avatar?

so about said filter? The guy at the lfs also said the aqueon filters with adjustable flow is also good. Is it?