Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #21 
Oldfishlady

I would QT him in a small container to treat...its is easier for both the 100% water changes and for observation of the fish and by leaving the 10gal with the snail this will hold the nitrogen cycle but you will still need to make your regular weekly water changes on the 10g just like when you had the Betta in it......

I use kosher salt, ice cream salt....generally Sodium chloride....you want to avoid salts with the anti-caking agents as these can be toxic to fish with long term use...the trace amount of Iodine in most table salts are not harmful its the anti-caking that is toxic.......

If he is still eating...feed him small frequent meals...nutrition is an important part of the healing process and for a strong immune response....

Once you have completed the 10day sodium chloride 1tsp/gal treatment-make a 50% water change on the 10gal-acclimate to both water temp and chemistry and place him back in the tank.....

During the 10day treatment-watch for changes in signs and symptom-he should start to show improvement within 4-6 days-if not, an increase in salt may be needed or a change in treatment all together...

How is he doing today...any changes......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #22 
newbie32

How do I acclimate him to the chemistry and temp of the water?

He has swam around just to get air. He's moved a few times on the gravel. Still didn't eat. Other than that, behavior is pretty much the same as it's been since he started acting funny.

Could I use a plastic sandwich container? Like a small round plastic tupperware type thing? It's not tupperware, it's some thing else. I bought it as a group of plastic containers for food at Wal-Mart. Would it have toxins that would hurt the fish? I mean, it is meant specifically for food and I've used them for food for about 3 years.

And I will buy kosher salt tonight and start treating him tomorrow. Unfortunately, he is a work fish and I don't live in the same town as my job.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #23 
Oldfishlady

To acclimate to both temp and chemistry-you add small amounts of the tank water to the QT container/fish over 20-30 min-dump the QT water and repeat until the QT and fish are in 100% tank water...never add the QT water to the tank....also, you may have to top off the tank with fresh dechlorinated water after you acclimate.....

If the containers are food grade they should be fine to use for a QT container...

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Old 04-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #24 
newbie32

Thank you SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOOO much! I will get to work first thing tomorrow morning and I'll let you know how things go!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #25 
newbie32

Today has been day 1 of the treatment. I have him in a really small plastic container. It's taped to the side of the tank. I premixed the water. I'm not sure I put enough ice cream salt in there. Put him in there. He's moved around a few times. More than the last few days. That makes me hopefully. I put 1 pellet and 2 bloodworms in to see if he would eat. Didn't touch the stuff. I'm going to try some flakes this afternoon. I'm going to have to take the tub out of the tank for the weekend though. But...his small movements do make me feel a little bit better. That's my update for now.

On a side note, does anyone think I should get an aeration system? I have a 10 gal tank with no aeration other than the bubbles the filter creates. He seemed fine with it the one or two days he wasn't sick. Is this enough or do I need an air stone or something?

Also, does anyone know anything about inca snails? My inca snail has been in with my betta for about a week. They don't seem to even notice each other, which is good. But, since betta may have swim bladder, can that infect my snail? my snail hasn't eaten the algae wafers I've given him. I don't know if he is finding stuff to eat in the gravel though. What is everyone's thoughts, if any?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #26 
youlovegnats

hmm, he'll get his appetite back sooner or later. Keep trying. :)
As for an aeration system...it's not a necessity, but you can if you want.

And swim bladder disease isn't contagious, don't worry. Snails usually just scrape off whatever is on the sides of the tank and at the bottom (they also produce A LOT of waste! >_<; So it's most likely that you snail IS eating, but he's just not interested in the wafers. Those are more for bottom feeding fish (like catfish & pleco's) more so than mollusks.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #27 
newbie32

I noticed after my water change today that King Fishy has a torn tail and a torn fin. I hadn't noticed these pefore. However, to do the water change, I had to grab him with the fish net. It doesn't fit very well into the little bowl and King put up quite the fight. I wonder if I tore his fin? Also, since he's in a little bowl and I can't really get the net in there, how do people suggest I do the water changes? I want to cause the least amount of stress and I don't want to hurt anymore fins!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #28 
Oldfishlady

I pour the fish out into the net while holding the net over another container to catch the water.....not the sink.....unless you plug the drain.....lots of Bettas have been lost down the drain......

Always wet the net well before use...this can help avoid damaging fins.....
Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #29 
newbie32

OH NO! I believe King FIshy now has fin rot. This is day two of the QT. He's in a little plastic tub with water and ice cream salt. I've done everything OFL has said. This afternoon I noticed his fins are in bad shape. The end of the top fin is grayish. I would equate it to the way the leaves of a plant look when they start dying and turn brown. There is also a small hole/tear at the end of his tail that looks black. So I'm guessing fin rot? Could this have been making him sick the whole time or just a product of probably having swim bladder disease? And do I continue with the 1 tsp/gal? Should I up the salt? Any medicine I can use? Is this curable?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #30 
newbie32

I have included this picture for people to see. Notice that the end of his tale looks darker. In real life, there's a small circular chunk of the end missing and the area around the hole is black. And note the top fin is changing color. Like it's dying off much like the leaf of a plant.
Attached Images