Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #1 
lalalaura

White slimey looking stuff..

So today, in the daylight, I noticed in my HM betta's tank that there is all white slimey looking stuff on the plants, decorations and bigger rocks in the tank.

Its an unfiltered tank but there is a heater (set to 77F) and an airstone. I thought maybe the warm temperature and oxygenated water were making this stuff grow. I've never seen it in my other betta's tanks and neither of theirs is heated or has an airstone. I unplugged the heater but the temperature will still be fine because the other tanks (in the same room) are at around 73 without a heater.

I have some Java Moss in the tank and the rest are plastic plants. The other two tanks have Java moss (from the same bunch) in them as well, but no gross white stuff.

Next water change I am going to rinse the gravel and everything off to get rid of this, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this in their tanks and knows what it is/what to do?
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalaura View Post
So today, in the daylight, I noticed in my HM betta's tank that there is all white slimey looking stuff on the plants, decorations and bigger rocks in the tank.

Its an unfiltered tank but there is a heater (set to 77F) and an airstone. I thought maybe the warm temperature and oxygenated water were making this stuff grow. I've never seen it in my other betta's tanks and neither of theirs is heated or has an airstone. I unplugged the heater but the temperature will still be fine because the other tanks (in the same room) are at around 73 without a heater.
Actually 73 isn't fine.. bettas should never be in water colder than 76. The heater isn't causing the slime, so I would plug the heater in before your betta gets sick.

I have some Java Moss in the tank and the rest are plastic plants. The other two tanks have Java moss (from the same bunch) in them as well, but no gross white stuff.

Next water change I am going to rinse the gravel and everything off to get rid of this, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this in their tanks and knows what it is/what to do?
I have a feeling this is just biofilm…

What is the size of the tank, water change schedule, etc.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #3 
lalalaura

I had a feeling I'd get a response about the temperature here. I'm honestly not concerned about the water temperature. I have a 2 year old betta who has never had a heater and is very healthy. I was concerned a few weeks ago about the temperature after reading this forum but after doing some good research I decided not to worry about it. I just bought a heater for my new HM to make him happier but it doesn't seem to change anything because all my bettas are active and healthy and have never been sick.

I've also read books/articles about how higher temperatures can actually shorten the lives of some fish. I'm not saying don't keep them in heated tanks, I'm just saying everyone can have their own opinion.

ANYWAYS.. the tank is 5.5 gallons and I change 50% of the water X2 one week, 50% and 100% the week after, and vacuum the gravel once per week.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #4 
lalalaura

Can biofilm be white like this stuff is though? The ornaments in my other tank feel slimy when I touch them but its never white, always clear.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #5 
turtle10

Yes biofilm can be white, almost waxy. Ornaments gets slimy, that is normal. You just have to rinse those off in hot water every once and a while.

I agree that everyone can have their own opinions, but the fact of the matter is bettas are tropical fish that require warm water. I am sure they seem fine in 73 degree water, but the way I see it why not make them as comfortable and happy as possible?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote