Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #1 
Kashmir87

Questions about divided tank. (Newbie)

I have a 29G tank that I wanted to make into a divided betta tank. I only wanted to do 3 "compartments". The thing that I'm worried about is the fact that I don't have a filter that can have an inlet and outlet on different sides of the tank. I just have a hanging Aqua Clear. Would it be okay in the center if I had two plexiglass dividers with holes in them to filter the outer sides?

I'm not even sure if 29G is too large for bettas. If anyone has any ideas about what I should do with the tank, I'm all ears!
Kashmir87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #2 
lalalaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir87 View Post
I have a 29G tank that I wanted to make into a divided betta tank. I only wanted to do 3 "compartments". The thing that I'm worried about is the fact that I don't have a filter that can have an inlet and outlet on different sides of the tank. I just have a hanging Aqua Clear. Would it be okay in the center if I had two plexiglass dividers with holes in them to filter the outer sides?

I'm not even sure if 29G is too large for bettas. If anyone has any ideas about what I should do with the tank, I'm all ears!
It could never be too large for bettas! They would each have almost 10 gallons and would be very happy!

I have a hanging Aquaclear that I am trying to figure out how to use in a divided tank. You could make something to distribute the water into the 3 compartments. Maybe you could use a large piece of aquarium tubing or PVC pipe that reaches across the 3 compartments under where the water flows out of the filter and put some holes in it so the filtered water can go into each compartment. It would even break the flow of the water pretty well so it isn't too much current for the bettas. And the intake could be in the centre compartment?

It would even be okay in the middle compartment if the plexiglass had a lot of holes in it to allow good water flow. I'm just creative and have a lot of time so I think of these big elaborate plans that are more complicated than they have to be :P
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #3 
Kashmir87

Thanks for the reply! :D

I never thought if using a piece of pipe to distribute the water more evenly through each of the compartments.

I haven't found many plans or finished products for 29G divided aquariums.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #4 
roypattonphoto

maybe run 3 separate smaller filters in each compartment?
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #5 
lalalaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir87 View Post
Thanks for the reply! :D

I never thought if using a piece of pipe to distribute the water more evenly through each of the compartments.

I haven't found many plans or finished products for 29G divided aquariums.
Yeah, you just have to be creative and find something that works for you!

Did you make your own dividers or buy them? I had a 5.5 gal tank divided with that plastic craft mesh but one of the bettas wouldn't settle down and I was scared he would flare himself to death! I want to buy some black plexiglass so they can't see each other but I can't find any.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

I think using something like the mesh/dividers will work well for you. If you dont have a filter, you still have water circulate. You def. need holes, though, for heating. If you can, try getting a filter and putting it in the middle :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #7 
lalalaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I think using something like the mesh/dividers will work well for you. If you dont have a filter, you still have water circulate. You def. need holes, though, for heating. If you can, try getting a filter and putting it in the middle :D
Did you use that mesh stuff? Can your bettas see each other?
Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #8 
Kashmir87

I am just getting ideas right now. The only thing left to get are the dividers. I was going to get plexiglass and drill holes in them. I was also going to sand them so they're frosted and they can't see each other. (unless they're peekin through the holes lol.)

I currently have a Aqua Clear filter but was wondering if just having holes in the plexiglass would be enough to circulate the water if the filters in the center of the tank.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

If you have enough of them. Dont make the holes too big- bettas like shoving their heads in things too small to fit in DX
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #10 
Nanglebadger

this worry about bettas seeing one another is something i have been reading on this forum since I joined. I appreciate that some folk will have had bad experiences where males can see one another.

however, i am going to express the other side of the argument so that you can weigh up both points of view and come to your own conclusion on the matter.

My tank is divided into 6 compartments using perfectly clear strips of glass, so each of the 4 males not in an end compartment has 2 neighbours that he can clearly see and interact with. my tank has been running like this for a number of months now, and i recently added a fairly young looking Crowntail. Not one of my males is showing the slightest sign of stress from being able to see his neighbour(s). Indeed, after a fairly short period of time the flaring has calmed right down to very little, the fish are settled and content and blowing bubble nests and barely flare at their neighbours at all, they just watch one another. I have found that they dont chase the shrimp and they are very sociable towards me. Once they realise they cant get at one another they chill out.

I'm not telling you its right or that being able to see other bettas is perfectly fine, I am simply relaying MY experience from having a tank divided with clear glass because I know that this side of the argument isn't often heard or put forward. Clear glass and visibility might not work for you or for everyone, but it can be made to work as my tank is demonstrating. I don't think its as big a deal as it can be made out to be. Also, my brother works in a tropical/marine fish shop and he built the tank, so at all times my tank is monitored by someone working in the industry and who has the appropriate industry training and he has assured me that all is good, which so far it has been.

again, not meaning to aggravate anyone, just expressing the other side of the argument so that you can decide what method best suits your needs/desires.

here is my tank for reference/illustration:

Phil.
Nanglebadger is offline   Reply With Quote