Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #1 
tokala

Gimpy Gill Question

I am so excited and relieved to sat that after following OFL and turlte10's advice with fresh water treatment for an over-treated Diablo, he is doing FANTASTIC. Today is the first day he has seemed like himself. Curious, no more clamped fins, active, etc. I feel like we are in the clear for the most part. I just have one more question (last one I promise)...

Here are pictures of his funny gill that he came to me with over a month ago. It hasn't gotten better or worse in that time frame. One is taken while gulping for air and the other shows how it doesn't close all the way when he swims. Sometimes he makes frantic gulps for air then freaks out like he is choking. It doesn't happen very often- but I do notice he goes to the surface for air more frequent than my other fish and takes bigger gulps.

Should I be concerned? Should I just accept it and continue with freshwater and not medicate? Also, I have some IAL on their way in the mail and I am hoping it will help.
Attached Images

tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #2 
tokala

* I should add that the gill that over extends while gulping air is different from the gill that does not close all the way. Not sure which one is more of a problem.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #3 
turtle10

So glad to hear he is better for the most part!!

Bettas have labrynth (sp?) organs that allow them to breathe air. It is normal for them to go to the surface for air. However, if he is gasping rather than just taking a normal breathe that isn't normal. From the pictures, he looks generally healthy, except for the gills of course, so I would continue fresh water. Sometimes bettas just take a little extra time to heal. The leaves should soothe him, and could very well help his gills.

Please keep posting updates, I am rooting for your little guy!
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 
tokala

Thanks turtle10! Today has been a bit of a step back- more clamped fins and flashing. Still not as bad as it was but....sigh.... getting so frustrated. I want to give him a good week or so on fresh water and give him time to totally detox then reevaluate from there. hope it isn't a gill fluke/parasite but that would me my last guess. I will keep ya posted :)
Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #5 
ohstephyy

Pixel has the exact same thing going on ._________. I don't understand, he's acting completely normal and everything, not gasping for air and is acting like his normal self, except his gill is gimpy and protruding out exactly like your boys' gill.

All I know is to continue giving him quality water which you're doing and I hope your boy feels better :D
ohstephyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #6 
tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohstephyy View Post
Pixel has the exact same thing going on ._________. I don't understand, he's acting completely normal and everything, not gasping for air and is acting like his normal self, except his gill is gimpy and protruding out exactly like your boys' gill.

All I know is to continue giving him quality water which you're doing and I hope your boy feels better :D
No kidding! I feel so much better to know that I am not the only one. Diablo does gasp for air from time to time, but I have treated him for everything under the sun (to the point where I think the poor fella got toxic). I agree with you, the best thing for it is fresh water and some tlc :) Keep me posted if your guy has any changes!