Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #1 
thatgirl

Clear fuzz coming from anus. HELP!

I just got home from work and went to look at him as usual and there's this fuzz-type ball thing on his anus. :/ You know how sometimes you can see the clear algae on the tank decorations? Well, it looks like that, but on is bum, and it's round.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon.
What temperature is your tank? 79-82 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 ghost shrimp.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets each morning. Blood worms every once in awhile. Fasting day each week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 50% and One 100% a week.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner.

Water Parameters:No.
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment- Little fuzz ball on his anus. :/
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It's the same, just the fuzz on his bum.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He spends a lot of time on his leaf hammock, but I just got it. Other than that, nothing.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't know.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 6 months (not including how long he was in the pet store)
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

If you could get a picture of the fish, that might help. It could be a number of different things. :/
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #3 
thatgirl

:( I only have the camera on my phone and the closer I get, the blurrier it is.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

hmmmm :/ I can't say for sure...but it's fuzzy?? It might be either some type of fungus or fin rot? Do you see any little "hairs" branching out from the fuzz?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 
Thunderloon

Leaf Hammock warning: Most of these were manufactured with a thin metal strip inside... if it protrudes it is sharp enough to cut your boy open. Don't bend or flex the leaf at all, if the tip feels sharp you should remove it from the tank. You can stick something else into the sucker mount tho.

Do you have a little stick or net that you can use to gently touch the fuzzy bit with? It could just be "bettarhea".

If it is still there first thing up is salt for the water. Occasional swims in salt water can be healthy for betta and a few of us even have household conditions that cause us to maintain environmental levels of salt in our tanks as regular water treatment.

Even a telephone picture should be ok, remember what you see on the phone is smaller than the picture it takes.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #6 
thatgirl

There's no hairs branching from it. It doesn't look like poop either. It's on his bum and its a cloudy round thing. It kinda looks like algae, but he's been swimming around and resting on things, and it hasn't fallen off yet.

What's "bettarhea". Like diarrhea? I've never heard of that! and I'll try to get some pics, if he decides to hold still...
Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Leaf Hammock warning: Most of these were manufactured with a thin metal strip inside... if it protrudes it is sharp enough to cut your boy open. Don't bend or flex the leaf at all, if the tip feels sharp you should remove it from the tank. You can stick something else into the sucker mount tho.

Do you have a little stick or net that you can use to gently touch the fuzzy bit with? It could just be "bettarhea".

If it is still there first thing up is salt for the water. Occasional swims in salt water can be healthy for betta and a few of us even have household conditions that cause us to maintain environmental levels of salt in our tanks as regular water treatment.

Even a telephone picture should be ok, remember what you see on the phone is smaller than the picture it takes.
I agree with the salt. AQUARIUM SALT ONLY! Don't confuse this with sea salt or marine salt. >_<;
You should use about 2 tbs per 5 gallons...so in your case use about 1/2 of a tbs. If it doesn't clear up in a couple of days it might be something more serious. :/
Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

hmmmm, it might just be some kind of fin rot then. as long as he's acting normally you should be fine. :) But you should do a salt bath. You might also want to do that daily for a couple of days (meaning do 100% water changes and adding salt). Then when it's gone, do another 100% change w/o salt.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #9 
thatgirl

Ok, I'll try to get some aquarium salt. I don't have a car. :( wah. I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but yesterday he ate 5 pellets (he ate the one that was sinking for the ghost shrimp!). He's really tiny, his body (without fins) is about 1 and 1/4 inches long. After he ate the pellets is stomach was HUGE. I dunno. Maybe it has something to do with that, because he's going to have to take a big poo eventually, if he hasn't already.

Thanks for helping me!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #10 
youlovegnats

hmm, I would feed him 2-3 pellets two times a day (2-3 in the morning and 2-3 in the afternoon). see if that doesn't help. :)