Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #1 
thatgirl

So frustrating, ugh.

I get so frustrated because I've spent so much money on a tank, food, decorations, and supplies for my fish and there seems to always be something wrong with him. :( I try so hard to make him healthy and happy and I always seem to fail in some way or another.

Then I see bettas in a little bowl, no heater, etc and his fins are long and flowing and theres a bubble nest and everything. He seems happy. And I think about my first betta (before I knew all that I know now) and he was in a little tank no filter and heater, and he was like the fish I spoke of earlier...long fins, energetic, bubble nest, seemed happy.

I don't know if it's just because the betta that I have now is just sickly (I rescued him a month ago) or what. :( All I want is a happy and healthy betta. :'( and I love Doyle. I want him to be happy. Waahh!
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #2 
luluo

Doyle is so lucky that he has a loving person like you taking care of him.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

I know exactly how you feel. I know someone who keeps a betta in a ten gallon with guppies and a platy, has changed the water TWICE in a year and a half, and he's perfectly happy. Her other betta was kept in an unheated one gallon with a guppy (till the guppy died) and gets water changes maybe every month, and again, he seems happy and healthy. My Arcturus lives in a heated, filtered five gallon with twice weekly water changes, betta-friendly decor, etc. Yet I know he is unhappy; he's never once built a bubble nest, and he has gnawed off most of his fins. :(

It's so frustrating to know that you're doing everything right and he's still not happy or healthy. And it also makes it hard to convince others to take proper care of their fish, when you really have nothing to show for all of your effort. But you have to just accept that that's how the fish is; you're taking excellent care of him, and this is how he would be no matter what. Who knows what kind of irreparable damage was caused by bad conditions in the pet store before a fish was bought. But I know firsthand how hard it is to accept that sometimes a fish will be sick or unhappy no matter what you do.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 
turtle10

Bubblenests are not always a sign of happiness. They are sometimes just made out of instinct and marking their territory.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

Oh I know, they don't always indicate happiness. I just figure that coupled with the constant tailbiting means he's probably not the happiest camper in the world.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #6 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
Oh I know, they don't always indicate happiness. I just figure that coupled with the constant tailbiting means he's probably not the happiest camper in the world.
Lol I meant to say about the OP's original fish… just because they blew bubblenests doesn't mean they were happy in a heaterless bowl.

But I am sorry about the tailbiting! That sounds really irritating :/
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote