Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #1 
Marianne Betta Fish Owner

Exclamation HELP!Erratic behaviour from our Delta Tail Betta Fish

Hi! We have a sick little Delta Tail Betta and his body is curved to the right. I have posted a question but it is my first time so I am not sure if I did it correctly. I have copied and paste my posted question here as well. Any chance someone can help us?
Hi! My son's Delta Tail Betta fish is not feeling well and are acting very strange. We have only had him for about 3 weeks but we have read a lot about the care, cleaning etc and the fish is taken very good care of....We hope, but he has not been interested in food for a long time (2 weeks +) and first we were told that we should try some different food types. We have tried Aqueon Betta Food, BettaMin and freeze dried Bloodworm (only one at the time as a snack-No Interest!). Delta has been staying a lot under the filter and not been very active swimming...less and less. I have now noticed that he is ''resting on the side, sometimes it is like he is resting on his back, he seems to breath slowly and when we changed his water earlier today he was swimming very strange, almost like he did not have any direction control and his body was tilted to one side. We are so worried for him and don't want him to be sick, suffer or die so Please, can someone help us with a diagnose and what we can do to help him?It looks like he is twisting/bending his body to the right. When he is suddenly swimming out (very seldom) it is almost as if he is ''crazy''. Is he in pain...what can this be? The water and everything inside the tank is clean, pH is < 7.2 and Ammonia 0 ppm. Temperature 79-81 F. Hope another Betta lover can help Delta and us with a good idea for treatment! I have tried to look for information and I suspect it may be Swimbladder Disorder or inflamed gills...maybe both??? Kind regards, Marianne (Delta's ''Grandmother'')
Marianne Betta Fish Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:25 AM   #2 
Harley

Sounds like Delta could possibly have Swim Bladder Disease (SBD). Some of the symptoms are similar to what you're describing. You say the water is clean but how often and how much water is being changed? There are a few things that can cause SBD including but not limited to constipation, overfeeding and bacterial infections. I would try to QT Delta and make sure 100% daily water changes are being done. Also try lowering the water level a bit to make it easier for him to get to the top. If he's not hungry it may be constipation or maybe just the food you've tried. You may want to avoid flakes as I've heard people have problems with them and SBD. I've heard that peas with the skins/shells removed can help with constipation too, try soaking one for a bit and then put it in the QT tank. I'm no expert and other posters may have other suggestions but it gives you some ideas. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #3 

Hi and thanks for your reply! We change 50% of the water x2 per week, check the pH and Ammonia daily, (have to adjust the pH every time we change), condition the water etc. There is no excrements in the water...but we have not noticed that he has been eating either. I will stay away from the flakes. I read last night that all the dry food should be soaked well before even served to the Betta. He has only been served VERY small quantities and freeze dried Blood worms only twice-No interest. I have read a few places that too frequent water changes will stress the fish badly and since the water tests are very good I don't think that is the challenge. He is resting under the water filter on his back, and his breathing looks affected. I have just been to a fish shop and they recommended me to use Epsom salt, but did not know in which concentration. I was also recommended Binox that they use for all their fish showing signs of disease. Another thing I have picked up and will start to add is Aquarium Salt (1/5 of a teaspoon= 1ml per Gallon) that is supposed to give the fish the minerals they need. Delta is still alive, floating on his side in the surface. I have removed the filter to make it calm around him. Any other suggestions?????
Old 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #4 
Harley

I'm not sure about mixing epsom salts with aquarium salt but OFL (OldFishLady) made a comment about epsom salts for someone else once:

"I would start with lots of water changes...25-50% a couple of times a day for 2 days and if he doesn't perk up...start him on Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 2 days...on day 3-increase Epsom salt 2tsp/gal along with the 100% daily water changes for 7 more days....

Its best to QT in a small container to treat and pre-mix the Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water to use for the water changes"

IMO the water changes can be stressfull to a certain extent but saving your fish is the most important thing. Many health problems can be caused by "dirty" water (visible or not) and clean water can assist in the overall health and recovery of a fish. Someone else may have other suggestions I'm sure as far as what else you might want to try. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #5 

Thanks again Harley! I also found a treatment with for Epsom Salt. 1 Tbsp per Gallon, dissolve in water that keeps the same temperature as the water the Betta already is in. Mix well until all is dissolved!

Place the Betta carefully in a Bath for about 15-20 minutes. Clean the Bettas aquarium during this Bath time so it is ready to let the Betta back into after ended Bath (same temperature, opt. 79-81 F).

One can save the Epsom Salt Bath and repeate the procedure twice a day, if needed. The Epsom Salt Bath can be a stressful experience for the fish, but sometimes that is the price one have to pay to gain the health back. It is a good idea to not have anything on the bottom in the Epsom Salt Bath, it will be easier to see any ''result''.

I did not have any deep frozen peas at home and the fish shop did not have any Daphnia. I bought the Binox and added a very small amount in the aquarium when I came home. Then I prepared the Epsom Salt Bath in a Smaller Glass bowl and placed him into the bowl. He did not show any big reaction, just floated on the side. After 20 min, I took him out again and into another small glass bowl with new, prepared and well tempered water, added a little bit of the Binox. Now he is resting there and (cross fingers!!!) he looks a little bit better and start to slowly get back into normal water position (now half side ways). I don't think this is over yet but I think we have got a movement in the right direction. I am still very thankful for any ideas/treatments as I think this also may help someone else later on. I will come back with updates as well... Together we are strong for our Betta's Good Life!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #6 

Oops, I got the wrong mixture in my previous posting about Aquarium Salt. It should be 1 rounded Tbsp = 15 ml per 5 gallon water (3 ml per gallon).
Old 04-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #7 
Harley

Great! I'm glad to hear things might be looking up. Thanks for the other info too.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #8 

Thank you for your speedy reply, information and support! We felt very desperate last night and I spent most of last night and this morning to search for information on Internet. Delta is very tired after his Epsom Salt Baths (2) today but he has been able to swim better and keep his body belly down for periods of time. I also use the Binox in his aquarium. Now he is sleeping under the filter, on the side with his long tail hanging down....Hope he is feeling much better tomorrow and that the treatment is the correct one and that it will make him 100% healthy again!