Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Smaller pellets?

I noticed that Aki seems to have a small mouth. He has been spitting out his pellets after taking one bite of them. This is a very new development as he used to suck them down in huge gulps. Because of this I don't want to risk him choking so I decided on Friday before we go to pick up the next member of our family we're going to go to Petco and get the Mini pellets and see if he has an easier time eating those. He sure as heck isn't starving he eats his bettamin flakes and even eats the big pieces without problem it's his pellets he doesn't seem to like.

However the ingrediants worry me. Omega-3 for fatty acids? That doesn't sound so reassuring and the reviews aren't helping much. It seems if you leave it in the tank for too long it'll kill your fish. I'm scared to get this for Aki now. We're getting freeze dried brine shrimp whilst we're there. Should I just switch him to a food like New Life Spectrum and see if he has an easier time eating that? Or should I keep feeding him the Aqua Culture? I don't want him to choke so they need to be small.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 
roadrunner

There is big variety of food out there so you can ask someone in store Somebody recommended hikari micro wafers to me and since I've been feeding those, my boys are very happy. They are small enough for them to comfortably eat and have high % of protein. You can switch them now and them with other food for variety if you like. Some bettas are really picky so it may take a while to get used to new food, but don't give up. Good luck.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #3 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
I noticed that Aki seems to have a small mouth. He has been spitting out his pellets after taking one bite of them. This is a very new development as he used to suck them down in huge gulps. Because of this I don't want to risk him choking so I decided on Friday before we go to pick up the next member of our family we're going to go to Petco and get the Mini pellets and see if he has an easier time eating those. He sure as heck isn't starving he eats his bettamin flakes and even eats the big pieces without problem it's his pellets he doesn't seem to like.

However the ingrediants worry me. Omega-3 for fatty acids? That doesn't sound so reassuring and the reviews aren't helping much. It seems if you leave it in the tank for too long it'll kill your fish. I'm scared to get this for Aki now. We're getting freeze dried brine shrimp whilst we're there. Should I just switch him to a food like New Life Spectrum and see if he has an easier time eating that? Or should I keep feeding him the Aqua Culture? I don't want him to choke so they need to be small.
Lol omega 3 is fine. Fatty acids are necessary to live, they aren't necessarily fattening or acidic. Omega 3 is found in things like fish, so it is normal.

Any food left in the tank too long will affect the water quality, that is why it is said to always, always remove uneaten food.

I will say that I have the Tropical Fish/Small Fish Micro Pellets from New Life Spectrum. I LOVE them. They have really good ingredients, high protein and are super tiny, your betta shouldn't have a problem eating this. Although, since they are smaller you have to feed a bit more. I dropped four into my male's tank one time and he gulped all of them at once!

EDIT: BTW, The NLS small fish formula is different from the betta formula. The betta pellets are larger and have less protein, so get the small fish formula. The betta pellets have about 37%, while the micro have about 48%.

Last edited by turtle10; 04-13-2011 at 11:30 AM.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Omega One Betta buffet pellets are noice- my boys like them an theyre teeny. Its 42% protein but theyre not stinky and dont foul the water..

Its $4+ for a .61oz though.. DX
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #5 
lilchiwolf

I buy the Atison's Betta Food. They are very small. so small that by bettas will be pigs at eat 3 pellets at once O.o
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Thank everyone. Your help is really appriciative. I think I'll get the NLS small fish forumla for Akira and keep the Aqua Culture for our new boy who's coming home Friday. Aki's still on the Aqua Culture until I can switch him so I've been digging out the smaller pellets and giving him a pinch of flakes.

Thanks again everyone. I really appriciate it. ^^
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #7 
turtle10

No problem :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote