Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #1 
phoenix91

My new girl, Artemis.

I got her yesterday, she's tiny and so cute. I only could get 1 photo of her and it's still a little blurry. Right now she's in a 1/2 gallon bowl while the 5 gallon cycles, i'll be getting her a small heater today as there wasn't one small enough where i was yesterday. Last night i had to resort to putting the bowl in a woolly hat to keep it warm, it was surprisingly effective and kept it around 74 (which i know is low but it wold have been lower without the hat).

Name:  DSCF2184 - Copy.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  115.4 KB

Any clue what she might be? all it said int eh store was "betta female". Also because she's so tiny i'm thinking she has to be quite young so hopefully she'll grow a bit. Her fins look good and so do her eyes, she has two or 3 darker spots on her other side and i'm not sure if they are just her colouring or something else.

I can't wait to move her into the 5 gallon, she'll love all that space.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #2 
iheartmybettas

She looks like a veiltale female. She is so cute!! I have one in my sorority that looks just like her except mine is huge. Lol!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #3 
SmokeNLark

I agree, she looks like a veiltail female, but females are so hard to tell!

She's gorgeous though! Love her colors!

I don't think you'll be able to find a heater small enough, so I would suggest floating the half gallon in the 5 gallon to keep her warm. Or just do a fish-in cycle. Whichever you perfer. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #4 
phoenix91

Thanks. She's just do cute.

You're right, I couldn't find a small enough heater. I'd like to do a fish in cycle but don't really know how. Things like water changes; frequency and such. Any advice anyone could give about doing a fish incycle without harming the fish would be great.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #5 
tokala

She is gorgeous, and I especially love the name. Artemis is my favorite Deity, and also the name of my traditional bow (archery) haha :)
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #6 
iheartmybettas

I have heard 2 50% water changes minimum. 1 water only and 1 vacuuming gravel. You can take the water to a petstore to be tested once a week. Once the parameters are 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and 0-20 ppm nitrate the cycling is done. Then you can just change once a week.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #7 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokala View Post
She is gorgeous, and I especially love the name. Artemis is my favorite Deity, and also the name of my traditional bow (archery) haha :)
Thanks. I couldn't resist her. i love the little patches of red on her cheeks. I'll post more pics when she colours up and after she's moved to the 5 g which i'm just about to do. i meant to say, archery! very cool. I did some archery when i was younger, just point and shoot and hope you don't hit anyone kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
I have heard 2 50% water changes minimum. 1 water only and 1 vacuuming gravel. You can take the water to a petstore to be tested once a week. Once the parameters are 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and 0-20 ppm nitrate the cycling is done. Then you can just change once a week.
Okay, i bought a master test kit so i can check the parameters myself. 50% twice a week sounds do-able. i've just done 1 50% change in preparation for putting her in the tank. Plus when my plants finally arrive (and go through a little QT) i'll add them and hopefully they'll stop the ammonia from getting to high.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #8 
phoenix91

Artemis is settling into her new 5 gallon; i decided since i couldn't get a heater for that 1/2 gallon that i'd cycle the tank with her in it, i still have the 1/2 gallon in case of emergency. I'll check the parameters and do frequent water changes.

She's coloured up a little since i got her home and is cute as a button.

Name:  DSCF2203.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  98.0 KB

This is her new home and it makes her look even smaller. Also, it might just be me but she looks a little bloated. I haven't fed her yet and it might just be the fact she's so tiny that her belly looks a little big.

Should i leave off feeding her until tomorrow or should i go ahead and give her 1 pellet?

Name:  DSCF2197.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  102.8 KB