Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #1 
LeroyTheBetta

The Boy is Back In Town!

... sorry, couldn't resist that thread title.

Anyway.... long story so here's the abbreviated version.

I felt that my betta, Leroy, would be better off if he was rehomed as I didn't have the space for another tank. He was in a little community tank I had but went to another little community tank...... but that just had some neons in it.

About 2 weeks after rehoming him I went to visit him. I was shocked to see what a horrible condition he was in! It ended up that a couple little sucker catfish of some sort were put into his tank with the neons last week and his fins have been nibbled at pretty good. :( Also, he was SO skinny! I have to go to work in a couple minutes, but I'll put up a before and after photo of him when I get home.

So, I said in no uncertain terms that I wanted him back and he's back with me as of a couple days ago. I'm treating him with melafix and a little salt and just yesterday I bought him a new house that he'll have all to himself. It's a 22 litre, filtered, heated, planted, and will be getting the gravel put in later today.

He's perked up quite a bit in the few days I've had him. Not surprised as there wasn't really anywhere he could go but up.

Sigh, I'm very happy to have Leroy back and I'm very sad at what had become of him!

Julie
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #2 
LeroyTheBetta

Oh, sorry... I've not been to the forum lately, but was here for a few months before that, so not a complete newbie here. More later,

Julie
Old 04-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #3 
bettafish15

I'm glad hes back in your care! Ditch the melafix though, that harms a bettas labryinth organ. Same with bettafix. Just stick with the aquarium salt and clean water :)

Edit: Also, dont use the salt for more than ten days. ;D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #4 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I'm glad hes back in your care! Ditch the melafix though, that harms a bettas labryinth organ. Same with bettafix. Just stick with the aquarium salt and clean water :)

Edit: Also, dont use the salt for more than ten days. ;D
Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #5 
LeroyTheBetta

Before and after shots of Leroy

This is Leroy the day I got him back, a few days ago....... very thin!

Side view:

Now, compare these photos to the one below (chubby Leroy when I had him) and my avatar photo:

Well, he's out of his hospital bucket (5 litres) and into his new home which I got yesterday..... 22 litre, planted, sponge filter. :) MUCH better! I hope he likes it.

Julie
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #6 
Pekemom

Aww, Julie - Leroy is so happy to have his Mom back!!!! He's a lucky boy. Keep those pictures coming...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #7 
LeroyTheBetta

1 week later, updated photo

This photo is a week on from getting Leroy back into my care:

He's starting to fill out a little bit, his colour is SO much better, and his fin tips are looking better. At first, I thought his fins may have been nibbled by other fish, but after looking at lots of photos of fin rot on bettas, I'm now thinking he developed fin rot while away. You can see the really thin tips in the the photo on day 1 when I brought him home (in his temporary bucket home) and compare that to the one just above.

Also, I changed out the sponge filter I had in his new 22 litre home and got a small 200 litre/hour internal filter. I thought that'd be too strong but once it was in, it's not too bad. I didn't think the sponge filter was really doing much as I continuallly saw little particles float past it and they didn't appear to be sucked into the sponge in even the tiniest bit!

Anyway, I'm very pleased that Leroy is looking so much better in just a week!

Julie
Old 04-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #8 
Silverfang

I'm glad he's doing better, and I bet he's happier than you are to be back in your good hands :)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #9 
gbose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I'm glad he's doing better, and I bet he's happier than you are to be back in your good hands :)
LeroyTB,

Glad he's back with you, but very concerned that you changed the filter. If it's not too late, put back the old filter as well as the new one. Run them together for 2-3 weeks.

The reason is that your nitrogen-fixing bacteria live mainly in your filter. If you throw out the old one, you have to cycle you tank all over again.. and your fish may not survive it.

Any questions, just ask!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #10 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
LeroyTB,

Glad he's back with you, but very concerned that you changed the filter. If it's not too late, put back the old filter as well as the new one. Run them together for 2-3 weeks.

The reason is that your nitrogen-fixing bacteria live mainly in your filter. If you throw out the old one, you have to cycle you tank all over again.. and your fish may not survive it.

Any questions, just ask!

GB
Thank you, gbose, but the tank isn't cycled, I'm doing frequent water changes and checking water params often. Besides, the sponge filter was only in for a few days and that was brand new itself. But, I did take the tiny sponge insert from the new internal filter and rub it all over one of my other cycled tank's filter media to maybe pick up a little of it's bb.

Everything is going smoothly with the tank so far. I don't even think Leroy misses his former tank mates and have a feeling he's quite enjoying life as a batchelor.

Julie