Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #1 
phoenix91

Ōji relocated, also a filter question.

So i got my new fish Ōji a few days ago now. He's been settling in great with one huge exception. My cats are going to be the death of him. I'm sure a few of you have seen this photo i posted:
Name:  DSCF2078.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  100.5 KB

It looks cute, it looks innocent... they were just waiting to make their move. The little white one, Mischa, has been harassing the tank non-stop for two days now. i even put up books around it so she couldn't see in, she just pushed them out of the way. My poor little guy has taken to hiding under the filter (which will lead to my later question); i even put in longer plants so he could have something to hide behind and it just seemed that the cats attentions were too much for him.

So tonight, feeling very stupid and wondering if getting him at all had been a good idea, i carried the 3 gallon tank from my living room into my half bathroom. Luckily it's downstairs, but boy that was a long walk and i was trying not to rock the water too much. So Ōji's home is on top of the toilet until i can figure out what to do with the tank. I don't mind not using that bathroom and it seems to be warmer in there than in my living room. Plus i can shut the door so my cats can't get in. they will hopefully foget he's in there for now and go about their normal lives. It was just creating tension and i was worrying far too much and snapping at them anytime they even looked at the tank.

So here he is chilling in his new quiet room:
Name:  DSCF2081.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2079.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  100.9 KB

Now for my question. I have a whisper filter in this tank and my fish seems to really like hanging around under it, and it's freaking me out a bit. Can he be damaged at all by this filter? it's on the lowest setting and he doesn't seem to get stuck or anything. could he get stuck? Is there anyway the sucking action could hold him down there and kill him?

Name:  DSCF2083.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  103.3 KB

I'm going to try and get a strong corner shelf that i can put up high-ish so the cats can see and watch but not get up to, i'd like to put it in my spare room as it gets nice and warm in there when the sun shines. If i could find a shelf strong enough to hold the tank that would be great. if not well then i guess little Ōji will be a bathroom dweller.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

I would be really careful about that filter, okay? Just because your betta is sooooo gorgeous and cute, just make sure he doesn't hang there too much. Don't second guess yourself about getting him! I have 2 cats, and their favorite thing to do is give me half a heart attack everyday by drinking out of Dumbo's vase. They never pay any attention to him, it's so crazy! Cats. LOL. I love the tank, I think it's great, just be careful about the filter.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #3 
phoenix91

Would lowering it to stop him getting under be a good idea? i really don't want anything bad to happen to him because he's been through enough you know.

I think keeping him out of mischa's way for now is the best thing, she's already running around like he's not even here anymore.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #4 
Bettaluver4evr

That would be a good idea. :) Or just take it out for a few days until he chills down a bit? Poor thing! He's really pretty. Again, CATS. LOL.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #5 
phoenix91

Thanks, i lowered it down, it has the notch thing on the back so i just put it down one notch. i don't think he'll be able to get under it, not unless he swims in sideways :) He is very pretty, he's starting to get purple at the ends of his fins, he's going to be so pretty once he gets a chance to just relax for a bit.

oh yeah, cats! my tanks has added extras to try and protect against the cats. i had to put velcro straps on the lids so the cats didn't knock it off and reach their feet in, plus it has an opening at the front of the lid so i added a material flap so i can just lift the flap to feed him.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

Yay! Hopefull that helps. :) Wow, that tank is heavy duty now! Straps, buckles, flap, lid! Haha. :D Unless you have supercats, that tank should be fine! :D Sure hope that filter is okay, I'd feel awful if he was torn up.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #7 
phoenix91

I have super cats, trust me. they get into everything.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #8 
JackisLost

The betta might be trying to find a cave to hide in. My betta swims around all day and appreciates a dark cave to rest in. Try giving him something to swim in and hide when he wants to. He may be using the filter as a place to rest under. I am using the floating betta log by zoo med, my betta loves it.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

That first photo is so adorable!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #10 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackisLost View Post
The betta might be trying to find a cave to hide in. My betta swims around all day and appreciates a dark cave to rest in. Try giving him something to swim in and hide when he wants to. He may be using the filter as a place to rest under. I am using the floating betta log by zoo med, my betta loves it.
I went to the petshop to look for a cave for him but couldn't find anything i thought was suitable, i'll have a look online because i'd like for him to have somewhere to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
That first photo is so adorable!
Heehee, thanks!