Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Unhappy uuugh... not again...

i was helping a friend out today. i don't think they knew HMPK dragons existed, so i searched them on Aquabid. i found this one title, that caught my eye. it said "Betta, or Flowerhorn".

well, i knew flowerhorns are those ugly(imo. xD i don't like them) things with the lump on their heads. i thought "not another betta with a fugly tumor on the head!". but.... i saw this poor boy:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1303343218

that hump.... can't be comfortable. ;A;

i'm not dissing the breeder. but, that boy should have been culled, or sold as a pet. not marked as a 'flowerhorn' and sold for a hundred bux. a boy like that should be discounted, if you're gonna sell him. or rehomed to someone who just wants a pretty fishie and is willing to care for him. i understand, breeders gotta make money, but why sell someone a deformed boy or girl, at a jacked up price, and market it like it's the next big thing?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 
Nutt007

Oh Aquabid, they have healthier fish at my Walmart! *sigh*
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #3 
Vocaloid

It's a beautiful fish, but it shouldn't be sold for $100 because of it's lump. I have no doubt that the betta would make a great pet for a much lower price.
Vocaloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #4 
iheartmybettas

I saw that too. I actually like Flowerhorns. I saw a female fully grown the other day at a local LFS and she was so playful. She was $95 and I was really tempted to get her. I just don't what to dedicate a 75 gallon to one fish. Anywho, when I saw this betta I was like "that looks nothing like a flowerhorn! Im confused!". So trying to sell a deformed fish for a retarded amount of money and with a confusing title that makes no sense. Awesome.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #5 
Emmalea

Oh, poor little guy.

I think it is very irresponsible of the breeder to be selling him to a home where they don't know what he will be used for.
Someone could get him and decide to breed him and make more little deformed bettas, which is not what the world needs.

I can't say if I think he should have been culled of not because it's really hard to tell if he is in pain or not without seeing him in person, but his breeder should be keeping him or giving him to a home where he will be a pet only, he should also be free.

The fact that they have put a $100 price tag on him proves that they are just money hungry failtastic breeders, Aquabid needs to ban sellers who try and sell fish that are clearly unhealthy.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 
baylee767

Did anyone else notice this poor guys mouth? He probably has a real hard time eating anything )= I hate when breeders do this )=>
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I seen this earlier... 0_o
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #8 
Goomba3

Aww, horrible! I feel bad for the little guy. I wouldn't mind him as a pet, but breeding? Doesn't seem like a good idea.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #9 
DaveC

Perhaps the "flowerhorn *or* betta" is the result of an ESL speaker and it should have been "flowerhorn *on* betta".

That fish is definitely a betta not a flowerhorn. I hope it is not the begining of a breeding program to develop "flowerhorn bettas".

I would certainly adopt that fellow, and his hump doesn't seem to be causing him problems at the moment. However, I worry about his future. I know that ranchu goldfish, which are grown for their headgrowths, do sometimes need surgery to remove excess growth from obstructing their eyes, etc. I the hump stays the size it is he may live a long and healthy life. If the hump keep growing, there may be serious health problems down the road.

To sell him as a "flowerhorn" when he is a betta is inviting some half-knowledgable fish owner to give him the wrong care and living conditions.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote