Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #1 
Garth13

Is this a good heater?

Hi,

I am new to the forum, but not new to Betta keeping. I haven't had a Betta since 2007 . I am looking to get one in the near future. Right now I am making a checklist of what I need and I was looking at this heater:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4134008

I have a 10 gallon tank, but I am not sure this heater is good because it automatically changes the temp. If anyone has some reccomendations for a heater link away

Thanks!
Garth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #2 
peachesxo

You can probably do better than that one, and for a 10 gallon tank you should be getting a 50 watt heater.
Ebo-Jager makes good heaters, a 50 watt will probably cost you $25 tops, but there are lots of other good brands as well.
But yeah, as long as it is a 50 watt it should work well for your 10 gallon, and 50 watts are usually adjustable which is always good..
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

Welcome! If you are in the market for a new heater, I would always suggest an adjustable one rather than a preset. I've had terrible luck with presets, and they're just not worth it IMO. I have a 50 watt adjustable Jebo I got brand new for cheap on ebay in my ten gallon. I don't know how many other people on this site use it, so I don't know what the general consensus is, but mine works perfectly. I use a 25 watt adjustable Marineland heater in my 5 gallon, and it also works wonderfully. Elite brand and the Hydor Theo are also supposed to be very good heaters. My Elite Hagen is fantastic, but it's in a 2.5 gallon, so I don't have any personal experience with their larger heaters.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #4 
JackisLost

I have the 25w version of this in my 5 gallon. It heats to 74 give or take 2 degrees. I think it is ok for a betta, but it is great for my shrimp! I rate it 7/10 because it never reaches 78 degrees, but usually stays 2 degrees within what the actual pre set is (mine is NOT accurately preset to 78)
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #5 
Garth13

Thanks for the info guys! I actually found my old heater and it happens to be 50w and adjustable and it still works! I thought I gave it all away, but I guess I forgot to give away the heater and an air pump
Old 04-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #6 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I am glad that you found your 50 Watt adjustable heater. For future reference in case your old heater quits working. Since you live in Colorado, I would not advise getting a pre-set heater. You might not like the temperature range that a pre-set will provide. I have seen a lot of posts where people expected their pre-set heater to maintain the exact temperature as stated. Only to find out their temperature range was totally unacceptable. Save some money, buy an adjustable if your old heater quits.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #7 
Garth13

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybetta View Post
I am glad that you found your 50 Watt adjustable heater. For future reference in case your old heater quits working. Since you live in Colorado, I would not advise getting a pre-set heater. You might not like the temperature range that a pre-set will provide. I have seen a lot of posts where people expected their pre-set heater to maintain the exact temperature as stated. Only to find out their temperature range was totally unacceptable. Save some money, buy an adjustable if your old heater quits.
That was what I was worried about the most with a non-adjustable heater. It can get below zero sometimes in winter, so a good heater is a must for anyone that lives in Colorado.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #8 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Let me help you out a little bit more, neighbor. My ten gallon 50 Watt heater is being removed from my tank during January and February, only. The 50 Watt heater will be replaced with a 100 Watt during those two months. It worked perfect. I tried the 100 Watt without my fish in the tank. So, there you go. For future reference. Another thing: if you know anyone with a 25 Watt heater they are willing to part with. You could use a two heater method to bump up temps, if needed. For me personally, I have a 25 Watt heater that is not in use. I didn't like the look in the tank with two heaters. But, again that was just my personal opinion for my tank. Mainly because of the lighting that I use. It just didn't look very good.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth13 View Post
That was what I was worried about the most with a non-adjustable heater. It can get below zero sometimes in winter, so a good heater is a must for anyone that lives in Colorado.
I totally agree. I lived in Colorado for 16 years and I know how cold it can get.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #10 
Silverfang

I have the 10W version, it keeps it about 75 ish, it keeps him content, but if I had the option of a different 10W one that was adjustable, I'd get that for him.
Of course since you found the old adjustable one you can just use it :)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote