Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #1 
NeoAera

Tankmate question?

Hi, I'm new here

Okay, so I currently have a 20 gallon aquarium with 1 female betta, 1 rubbernose plecostomus, and 3 ghost shrimp. It's a very heavily decorated tank; there are many caves and plants to hide in. I'm curious about which fish I can safely add to my tank that won't disturb my betta or eat my shrimp.

I heard that fancy guppies are a risk, because of there coloring. I wasn't sure if it'd be a good idea, even with the many decorations + hiding spots. My betta isn't overly aggressive, but I am not sure if I would want to take the risk, just in case she injured them. Do female bettas go after guppies, too, or is it generally just males?

I was also considering adding a small shoal of neon tetras in the place of the guppies, but I heard that they could carry diseases. I am curious what other people have to say. Has anyone housed female betta(s) successfully with fancy guppies?

Thanks! Looking forward to your replies!
NeoAera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #2 
Neil D

I have cardinals, they look almost the same as the neons, but are larger and have a longer red stripe. I had to remove my male betta for a week, while the cardinals were adjusting, so mr betta came into 'their tank' and it was 'new' territory for him. They get along fine now.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

Females can be just as aggressive as males so it depends on the personality of your girl. Some people have no trouble keeping guppies with their betta, but it can be risky.

I've kept cardinals, neons and H. Rasboras in tanks housing both male and female bettas without trouble. There's usually some chasing but nothing major.

-DM17
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #4 
Neil D

Darkmoon17 is right, personality is everything. Make sure you introduce miss betta after the new comers. So seperate her for maybe a week, it worked for me.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote