Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 12:42 AM   #1 
Rae6942

Smile Newbie - Okay Tankmates?

Hihi
So, I just bought a 10g tank for my male black and red crowntail betta (he's living in a smaller 5g at the moment) and I was wondering about suitable tank mates...
The tank has all the filters, heaters, ph testers, the lot really. I am going to buy sand for the bottom and get the plants and decorations very soon.
I am getting 4 smaller cories but I also was hoping to get a small school (5-6) of a colorful but short finned fish. I have read through quite a few other forums and have had mixed results as to what fish were okay.
I was just wondering if some people with experience would help me better than some people saying 'oh, I heard this was okay from someone once'

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate your thoughts :)
Rae6942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #2 
LolaQuigs

All you'd have room for in a 10 gallon is the betta and the cories; any other fish would overstock your tank. You could always do some shrimp and a snail though.

You could do some fish other than the cories, but not in addition to them. If you wanted to do that I can't really offer a recommendation; I don't have any firsthand experience with anything other than bettas and cories, I just know what I've heard from other people.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Actually in a ten gallon with a couple of cories and a single betta you could get a small school of tetra's.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #4 
LolaQuigs

If you want cories you'll need at least four, (if you can find pygmy or dwarf cories, I'd suggest six). With that and a betta, I really wouldn't add any more fish. Tetras are best in groups of six or more, six tetras, four cories and a betta is just too much for a ten gallon.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 04-14-2011 at 07:45 AM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #5 
Rae6942

My dad is a seasoned tropical tank owner so I'm not completely in the dark and he said I could have the 6 tetras without too much difficulty : /
I really wanted some other opinions but if I were to get some tetras, what would be the best?
Like, Neons, Green Neons, Black neons, cardinal etc

I don't want to get any that are too nippy so is there any chance I could get maybe a list of definite no-nos and some maybes if I didn't have the cories?
If I do get the cories, there will be 4 of them, I know they need to school

Thanks again for your time, I really need to know all I can
Old 04-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae6942 View Post
My dad is a seasoned tropical tank owner so I'm not completely in the dark and he said I could have the 6 tetras without too much difficulty : /
If you knew, why ask and get upset? I dont understand. -_-
I really wanted some other opinions but if I were to get some tetras, what would be the best?
Like, Neons, Green Neons, Black neons, cardinal etc

I don't want to get any that are too nippy so is there any chance I could get maybe a list of definite no-nos and some maybes if I didn't have the cories?
If I do get the cories, there will be 4 of them, I know they need to school

Thanks again for your time, I really need to know all I can
Cories and all the ones in the cat family are nice, but theyre sensitive. I suggest you get your tank cycled first before getting them, because itll be easier for you. Also, most bottom feeders need a fine substrate to be happiest.

Cardinal tetras are great and heartier/less prone to Neon tetra disease than their neon tetra cousins. If youre interested in neons (or any other fish) make sure than can live in the same temp range comfortably as your betta. White clouds need colder temps than you can give, so stay away from those..

Stay away from male guppies, gouramis of larger or equal size and anything too slow and small that the betta will try to eat or bite. Glo fish are too active for a ten and might aggravate the betta with so much movement. Tetras are fine because theyre fast and will get away. They tend to nip, though.

I think Harlequin Rasboras are ok, khuli loaches..
I cant think of any others, blegh..
Dx
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #7 
shinybetta

You should do 6 pygmy corydoras/4 panda. Albino, spotted, and some others get huge! The female spotted and albino I have are bigger than my female betta. So I would go with C. pygmaeus/ C habrosus or panda corydoras. You could add a school of 5 neon tetras (one of the smallest tetras) but I would recommend otocinclus catfish over neon tetras. However, otocinclus and corydoras are fragile and should only be added to a cycled/heavily planted tank. You could also add 3 platies instead of tetras. If you have the teras/platies and corydoras I would get shrimp like RCS, blueberry, tiger, etc.... I would stay away from CRS and black bee shrimp because they are more fragile than other shrimp. If you have an aggressive betta a better option for shrimp is ghost/amano.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #8 
jesstanner

I really don't know if they are compatible with bettas so maybe someone else will correct me...but dwarf rasboras are really pretty and if you got 7 or 8 they would be great in a 10 gallon! Also small and I think really pretty :) I like black neons personally and I think they do a little better in a 10 g but cardinals should be fine to...I'm just thinking of fish that could do well in a 10 g, I don't know if they would work with bettas though! Dwarf rasboras could LOOK really nice
jesstanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #9 
smellsfishie

In my personal experience, Bettas CAN (but don't always) get along with platies, danios, corydora catfish, plecostomus, threadfin rainbows, endlers livebearers, mollys, and sometimes dwarf gouramis!! I wouldn't recommend the gourami thing though, even though I successfully housed a betta with 2 in the past (no problems whatsoever), my most recent betta was almost killed by my dwarf gourami and I had to separate them. Also, my crowntail was the most aggressive of all the bettas I have ever owned, so I would be careful with just about anything with a crowntail. I probably would stick to bottom dwellers and a snail.

Last edited by smellsfishie; 04-14-2011 at 01:05 PM.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #10 
Rae6942

Okay, so you think either cardinal or the black neons would be my best bet?
Thank you all for you opinions, I just wanted to build up a bank of yes and nos, so to speak, so maybe I will get some and just see how it goes : /
Although I said my dad knows some things, he never owned a betta so that is why I am asking the forums, sorry if I got a bit touchy :(

Tags
tank mates