Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #1 
Burd

Purple / Violet Bettas - Hard to come by?

I've been thoroughly sifting through aquabid and haven't seen but ONE legitimately purple betta on there, and he's not even really saturated purple. He's very light.

Are they super rare or something? If I could find a truly primarily purple betta on there, I'd bee all over it. It doesn't have to be ALL purple. A purple body with accents would be amazing.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #2 
Luimeril

if i'm not mistaking, true purple, is nearly impossible to breed. you'll mostly see red with blue wash(if that exists. >.>;), or the other way around. i do think, that a few breeders on here, are playing with genetics, though, trying for true purple.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #3 
tracyalexa

I would love one as well. Found some articles though. That CT is a pretty color though...I've looked at him before.

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=757

HMPK (purple)

http://bettalovervideo.blogspot.com/...-bf-rm100.html

I guess the do have them...in Scotland.

http://www.tropicalfish-scotland.com/fish.cfm?pid=1272

Hmmm, some pretty ones.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fishchick65
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #4 
SmokeNLark

Chronos is purple :) I need to take another pic of him as his fins really darkened up. I'll do that tonight and add another pic.

I got him cause he was so purple. Never seen another like him.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #5 
CyerRyn

I saw one purple Betta at Petsmart when I was purchasing my sons Betta. I don't remember clearly if he was completely purple, but I know he was purple for sure. I want a brown Betta.. I went through a Betta picture search on Google and you can filter out the colors with options on the side menu.. and the brown ones are so... GORGEOUS!

**If you scroll down a bit, there's a beautiful purple Betta on this site. http://www.bettafacts.com/betta-fish-pictures/ **
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #6 
Burd

HOLY **** CyerRyn... those fish on that page are gorgeous and so oddly colored! How I wish I could find them.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #7 
CyerRyn

The red one on that page that's peeking out of the plants.. reminds me of my sons Betta. Always giving me that pouty look with "puppy dog" eyes. Gosh Betta's are just.. smart like that luring you in to being addicted!!... And then they flutter their little fins when they catch you staring at them in "awe".
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #8 
fleetfish

A purple betta is extremely rare. Most of the bettas you will find that are "purple" are called purple-reds or salamanders, and they have blue or red overlay on their scales. That's not to say they are still purplish, I love this colour! I had a beautiful salamander HM butterfly that I swear was purple ... he died about a week ago, had him only for a few days. Here he is:

One of these days purples will exist!

CyerRyn, they're little flirts, aren't they!

Last edited by fleetfish; 04-22-2011 at 10:07 AM.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #9 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfish View Post
Hate to say this ... but the purple betta on that page is photoshopped, although it is probably the ideal purple. A purple betta that colour is extremely rare. Most of the bettas you will find that are "purple" are called purple-reds or salamanders, and they have blue or red overlay on their scales. That's not to say they are still purplish, I love this colour! I had a beautiful salamander HM butterfly that I swear was purple ... he died about a week ago, had him only for a few days. Here he is:

One of these days purples will exist!

CyerRyn, they're little flirts, aren't they!
Aww that sucks! It's so beautiful.. I'm not a big fan of purple though but it's still pretty! Brown or green would be my pick! And YES they are flirts!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #10 
fleetfish

I love greens! They are also hard to come by, at least the deep emerald, grassy, forest greens. But they are around, if you look carefully :)
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote