Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #11 
Luimeril

if that fuzzy stuff is what i think it is, it's nothing *i* worry about. i sometimes see it on Cup's tail, if he gets a new rip in it and i don't catch the new rip right away. i treat it the same way i treat Cup's tail, with clean, warm water and aquarium salt.

i sure hope that, whatever it is, clears up fast. ;A: he's such a pretty fishie!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #12 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
if that fuzzy stuff is what i think it is, it's nothing *i* worry about. i sometimes see it on Cup's tail, if he gets a new rip in it and i don't catch the new rip right away. i treat it the same way i treat Cup's tail, with clean, warm water and aquarium salt.

i sure hope that, whatever it is, clears up fast. ;A: he's such a pretty fishie!

Me too Luimeril! Maybe the fungus isn't the stuff I should be worrying about as much as the red rawness at the ends of the tail. Whatever is causing that, is really making him sick

He's so tired now....just laying there at the bottom....I never had a chance to spawn him yet. But not just that, he's kinda one of those guys that stand out from the rest!

StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #13 
Luimeril

try shooting OFL a PM. maybe she can help ya? he certainly is beautiful!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #14 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
try shooting OFL a PM. maybe she can help ya? he certainly is beautiful!
Yup, I PMed her, got some good advice. It's hard to say what it is, but NOW I am seeing fungus in most of the Bettas tanks. On the poop. Some in the java, and it even attaches to cat fur that accidently gets in there.

Which leads me to believe that something is up with the water, as I change their tanks 100% everyday! Which also means that it's a secondary thing on Plato. The fungus is attacking his dying flesh. Now I have to figure out what the FIRST problem is!!

He is sitting half on the bubbler, poor guy!
ARG!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #15 
StarSpun

An update!

After cutting off the piece with the fuzz, bathing him in salt, and adding him to a 1/2 gallon of clean water with Malachite Green and some other medication that is supposed to help, he is laying down, not moving much. Only to get air. He looks terrible. And not two hours after cutting the fuzz off, it's back again!

OLF has brought up 'water mold' which I am looking into. It could be attacking the bleeding flesh, which would maybe make it a secondary problem.

I have also noticed this mold in the other tanks, yet no one is affected by it. I am going to change the water source back to spring water with a lower PH.

For now, I want to get everyone away from this crap, and I need to get Plato healed! This is driving me insane!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #16 
StarSpun

Ok update. He is still at the bottom of the tank with 'glued fins'. Very clamped. He goes up for air, but not much else. His little side fins are mostly waving around thought, which makes me think he isn't totally done for

Despite my trimming, the fungus has returned. The red sores seemed to be toned down, but the fungus, wow. Some of it is even this BLUE color! I checked it out under my loop with a flashlight when he comes near the front of the hospital tank. It almost looks like white stringy pieces coming out of the blue! The other fungus is more white in color. Oh my gawd I hope he pulls through. I spent a beautiful sunny Arizona day beside him, watching his every move and looking stuff up on Google. I am so tired, and so restless!

Anyway, I took a couple of pics.

More can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fb...1&l=4e466102ef

Here are the newest ones:
Earlier today. So very sad

See the little blue part with the rippled black edge? This is actually fungus, though it doesn't look like it here! You can see the white stuff at the bottom where the tank starts to round out....I know, hard to see....

I think the red is calming down a bit. You can see the white fungus here, kinda. It looks a lot worse in real life. Notice how you can barely see the blue stuff. Ugh.

My poor clamped baby. I feel so horrible

Any thoughts on what this looks like?
I can't believe this fungus is growing with the meds like this. I hope it's the whole 'it gets worse before it gets better' thing
Old 04-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #17 
StarSpun

A sad updated.

No answers to what this could be from multiple forums. It's a mystery. Last night the redness started to go away, so we were a bit hopeful. I noticed his gills extended a lot, trying to breathe. I was worried it was the medication, but we even under dosed him.

This morning we wake up, and he's taken a turn for the worst. On his side, completely paralized it seems. Still has his little side fins fluttering away, still full of fight. The blue fungus/mold has taken over, now the coloring going up his dorsal. More fungus on the tail. Even with all the strong anti-fungus meds!

We changed him over to non medicated, clean, salted water and I added a whole lot of Betta Spa (IAL). Just to sooth. I cannot believe this but my hubby is on the floor, beside his bin, devastated, talking to Plato. I feel so bad, I knew Plato was his favorite, I've been up for two nights trying to save him, Googling stuff. I am so very very tired....and so very very sad. All these tears over a fish....if that's any indication of how awesome this little guy was.

We're staying with him 'til the end. It won't be long now. I just want to give breeding now, he was at the top of my breeding plans anyway. And now, he's as good as gone. I am beside myself....
Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #18 
1fish2fish

I'm sorry :( I wish I could help. It's gotta be something underlying besides just the redness on his fins.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella.....dissolve 2tsp/gal of Epsom salt in spring water and Betta spa and add him to that (same temp as the water he is in)

How old is he.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #20 
StarSpun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Poor fella.....dissolve 2tsp/gal of Epsom salt in spring water and Betta spa and add him to that (same temp as the water he is in)

How old is he.....

I guess I did something right in the end....because that is exactly what I did. We sat by him and waited until he passed, and we both cried. He kept fluttering those little side fins 'till the very end.

I just cannot believe he is gone. I thought I could save him. I keep going through the motions, wondering what I did wrong. Maybe I killed him with the meds, but last night his red sores were fading, I thought it was working.

Then again if I hadn't of done the meds and he died, I would have been saying, why didn't do the meds?! Either way I feel like it's all my fault I will always feel like it's my fault!

He was very young. I got him from Aquabid, sometime around January. I really wanted to breed him, he was what I was going to base my whole line on. I have his sister but it doesn't feel like the same thing. I am so worried about her, I have to have a chance to breed her so I can at least have some of him left behind....but I have to wait until I am in Canada. If anything happens to her, I give up. I feel like giving up now even....ugh....

Thank you everyone for your concerns and advice. I appreciate everything....