Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #1 
Hallows

Betta behaving weirdly?

I have a male betta, I've had him for a few months now, and he's been healthy. About 4 days ago, he wasn't eating much, and he would float near the top in one of the corners of the tank. I immediately called one of the fish stores located here in town. I took him down within the hour. The guy told me he looked fine, asked me questions about what I was feeding him (Nutrafin Max), he gave me Omega One Betta Pellets, my fish won't eat them, but when I put the flakes in the tank he goes right for them. He also gave me Betta Revive to put in his tank for a few days, and told me to switch to spring water. I did all of which he asked me too, and my fish seems to be okay. But I did mention another behaviour to the guy and he told me it might be a parasite. He swims quickly to the top he arches his body in a relaxed u shape, and then proceeds to stick his mouth in and out of the water while travelling around his tank. It's hard to describe. It reminds me of a dolphin in an odd way. I have a 1 gallon tank, with an undergravel filter, and an airstone, so theres bubbles floating around on the top, maybe he's chasing them? I have no clue as to what he's doing and if it's natural for him to do or if he is sick. He's been doing it since a day or two after being in his tank. Is this normal for him to be doing?
Sorry for the lengthy post.
Thanks!
Hallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.......have a few questions......

In the 1gal with UGF...how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, any live plants, type and amount of additives used.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #3 
Hallows

Thanks!

I change his water once or twice a week, 100%. I was told to switch to spring water and to not put any conditioner in. Before I was using Nutrafin conditioner, two caps full, approx 10 ml. In the tank there is some rocks, and one fake plant. The tank also uses a 7 watt light bulb in the hood. Water temp is about 25 degrees C which I think is mid 70's in F.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like he may be a bit cold and I would increase the water changes to twice weekly 50%...be sure and vacuum the UGF plates weekly with a water change too...I would use your tap water and dechlorinator for water changes....right now, up the water temp to 76-80F and make a couple of 50% daily water changes and see if this will perk him up.....keep us posted.....
Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #5 
Hallows

Okay thanks I will try that for sure. I have been doing water changes daily for the last few days. He seems to be doing a bit better. His water is at about 78 now.
I was also wondering if you knew what he might be doing when he's bobbing around the tank, it's hard to describe so I was able to catch it on video when he was doing that this afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4mK2UTmBtc

Have you ever seen a fish do this? Is it healthy or normal?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It looks more like he is struggling due to the water current than anything else.....

Nice looking Betta by the way....
Old 04-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #7 
Betta Fet

Looks to me like he is attacking the bubbles...
Betta Fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #8 
Hallows

Thank you :3 I have no idea what hes doing, cause he'll do it in the cup too when I'm changing his water. I was just curious, the guy at the fish store told me he's not suppose to do that. Up until now I thought he might just be amusing himself.